1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thom Yorke's lazy eye gets some down time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't know about narrowing it down to one song, but you might like something from their more guitar-oriented days (The Bends and OK Computer):

"Just" (the video might be better than the song):

"No Surprises" (great melody, video and just an extremely sad song):

"Paranoid Android" (Not sure how to categorize this ... alternative prog rock?)

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Good. Radiohead hasn't released a completely good album in over a decade. Long since needed to hang 'em up.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I like Karma Police. Great song.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I really liked Paranoid Android. Love songs that are all over the place and occasionally showcase great instrumentation. Liked Just, too. The other one, ya, that song was a wee bit depressing. Not bad, but I like my depressing songs a little more upbeat.

5. Doesn't get much better than Exit Music--->Let Down. Well, other than Talk Show Host, True Love Waits and You and Whose Army?

6. Arguably the greatest video of the late 90s.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Love The Bends. Paranoid Android slightly less so. There's a live one, I Might Be Wrong, that sorta flew under the radar a bit when released. I didn't much care for stuff post-Para-And, Kid A and the rest, didn't get it at all ... but the live album from that period I liked a lot. I'm a fan of Thom Yorke's The Eraser (love the title song and Harrowdown Hill).

o-<

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

This should surprise nobody: I never got Radiohead, which is enough clarification of their greatness. :D

I will say, though, that the song and video for "Fake Plastic Trees" are both achingly, heart-breakingly gorgeous, and I've never quite understood why. It just gets me at a basic level.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like a handful of songs. Creep tops that list.

But a solid No. 2 is this. Good for when you're in a quasi-pissy-raw mood, behind the wheel with nowhere to go and all day to get there:

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Two records really stick out to me -- The Bends and In Rainbows.

"Jigsaw Falling Into Place" is just a freaking epic song. And the haunting, train-track click-clack percussion during "Videotape" gets me every time.

Love "Just," "Sulk," and "Black Star."

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The related videos while looking for the Radiohead video led to me The Verve. They had some good songs, had some potential, but lost their nerve.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice picks, Cosmo and Songbird. A couple of my favorites from Radiohead's "weird" years:

"Optimistic"

"Knives Out"

"Sail To The Moon"

"Nice Dream," my favorite song from The Bends:

Draft saved Draft deleted