1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thom Yorke's lazy eye gets some down time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not sure if this a D_B. It's a bit of a bummer, at least if you like the idea of a Radiohead album:

Radiohead said in a magazine interview that it wouldn’t release any more full-length albums, instead focusing on downloadable singles like its recently released “Harry Patch (In Memory Of)” and shorter EPs.

“None of us want to go into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again. Not straight off,” said Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, in an interview with the Believer. “I mean, it’s just become a real drag. It worked with ‘In Rainbows’ because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we’ve all said that we can’t possibly dive into that again. It’ll kill us.”

‘In Rainbows,’ which Radiohead offered online on a pay-what-you-wish basis, was successful, he added. “It worked on two or three different levels. The first level is just sort of getting a point across that we wanted to get across about music being valuable. It also worked as a way of using the Internet to promote your record, without having to use iTunes or Google or whatever…and it also worked financially.”

The news that the band won’t do another studio album came days after it released “Harry Patch,” a tribute to the British World War I veteran who was buried last week.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/digits/2009/08/12/radiohead-says-no-more-albums/

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Love the band's music, and their concert last year in support of In Rainbows is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

But file these guys, Yorke in particular, under, "Only happy when fucking miserable."

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

OK, I have a co-worker whose musical tastes I respect (which is incredibly rare for me), and his favorite band is radiohead. I just never got them. If there's one song I should check out (not that Creep song) to determine if I'll ever get this band, what would it be?

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've never gotten Radiohead, either. I fully accept the blame for this. I fully understand that they are unparalleled musical geniuses, and I'm just some stupid cretin waiting for a hook or a chorus or something.

I had Pablo Honey and some of their older stuff. I bought OK Computer and, fuck, it just felt like the musical equivalent of homework.

No thanks. But I will never thumb my nose at someone for liking them. It's the ultimate case of it's not them, it's me.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, if I don't like band, that usually means they suck. :D

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I saw the last line of this post, then saw YGBFKM posted next, and was surprised his post wasn't some agreement with the quoted portion.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The thought crossed my mind. :-\

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OH MY GOD YOU USED AN EMOTICON THAT ISN'T A :D!

You HATE emoticons.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have pretty impeccable hipster snob musical tastes, but I've never quite gotten Radiohead either. I like them enough, just never quite gotten the genius that others see.

10. SigR

SigR Member

I think Radiohead is good, but they'll never be a favorite. I like their ambience, but I really dislike singers who don't enunciate (Tori Amos is another singer who comes to mind as fitting this model for me) As with anything else, if you have something to say, say it clearly with conviction.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I do, but that one, whatever it's supposed to represent, seemed fitting.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I had a lazy eye and am occasionally miserable, so I guess I relate.

Draft saved Draft deleted