1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thom Brennaman, welcome to the unemployment line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 19, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

expendable likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How unfortunate for Thom Brennaman that the one, the only time in his life that he ever uttered a slur like this, happened to be on a hot mike seconds before he was going back on air for a live broadcast. Just incredibly bad timing.

Or maybe he says it all the time behind the scenes and someone finally was fed up and let him hang himself?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As of 11:45 pm, I don't think the Reds have issued a comment on the topic.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I recall an anonymous quote in the 80s, probably from Inside Sports magazine, from a 49ers fan. "Eight months of the year, we're fag city. Until football season."

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

If Thom Brennaman isn't fired tomorrow morning, shame on the Reds.

maumann likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

suspended indefinitely

maumann likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious whether the "man of faith" card was pulled as a) to show he's really a good guy b) to offer an excuse to why he is so bigoted c) to call on people to rally to his support. ) all of the above.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And will have him at the RNC.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

That's a pretty strong statement. Have to wonder if it was stronger and longer because of the self-congratulatory, half-hearted apology. They gave him a chance to mitigate the damage, but he couldn't resist the urge to brag about his alleged virtues.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Suspend tonight. Go over the contract with the legal team. Fire in 24-48 hours.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He’s done.

12. tapintoamerica

He had quite a lot of time to think of what he was going to say. So I'm going with c) because he knew rallying the troops might be his only option by then. He knows he can get Trump to whine about "cancel culture" even though that's precisely what the leader of the klan did earlier in the day regarding another Ohio institution, Goodyear.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted