1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thom Brennaman, welcome to the unemployment line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know. Wolf whistles and catcalls go back to the beginning of time. I'm not sure there's ever been a great age of chivalry or gentlemanly restraint.

The 21st century wrinkle is blowing up your own career on social media, I guess.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For about 20 years, the only acceptable comment by a considerably older male upon the appearance of a younger woman is, "you look very nice."

period, the end, unplug the mic.

Anything beyond that, you're asking for trouble -- and deserve it.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I live by this standard, I don't care if its 1700 or 2020, its not that hard to be a good person. Feeling a stranger up in the hallway in 1700 is as morally wrong as in 2020, you just happened to get away with it before.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Gutter, Spartan Squad and wicked like this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Azrael-

A lot of America still has Victorian sensibilities about straight-up sexual harassment (which this case was), animal cruelty, caging babies, so on.

I recall Hannah Storm getting a lot of nasty clothing comments when she worked at the WWL.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Comments you never hear on sports radio about other (male) media people.

The new veneers look great.
    I don't know what he was thinking with that hair surgery.
    Dude looks like he put on the COVID-20 and then some.
    Say what you want about his announcing skills, but the guy fills out a suit nicely.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If two women did a sports radio show like that I would so much listen to it every day. It'd be so awesome.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

She was smokin’!

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

PC, are the Magids of the world now telling their anchors to show shoulders and arms along with their jewel colors and no earrings? Every local newscast here in LA is coanchored by a young woman looking like she’s going clubbing after her shift.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If they have I haven't heard it. I've heard the "jewel colors" thing a million times here and the no-earrings thing but not anything about showing arms. It's certainly possible, though.

"Talent image coach" has to be the biggest racket going. They know exactly how the female anchors need to dress... and happen to have cases of those dresses available for purchase.

TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

To pile on, your comments carry different weight depending on your relationship with the person. I worked with one woman I could have said "you're damn sexy, honey" and she would have laughed it off and never thought twice. Other women I could have made similar comments to because I knew their personality and that they knew what I meant by it. Women I work with now, no chance I'd say anything like that. I might feel weird about saying they look nice. I just don't have the same relationship and don't know the boundaries they have or how comfortable they are with me.

Long story short, be nice to someone. Listen. Never assume someone will take it the same way as you would. Read the room. A woman may not feel comfortable saying something but her facial expression will give a clue if she's not comfortable.

PaperDoll likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Don't say something you wouldn't want said to your wife/mother/daughter.

Some people get mad if you don't say they look good all the time. I've known them.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How Female Anchors Really Feel About The Unspoken Dress Code For Women In TV News

A good article with "the nut" buried deep.

"This is the crux of why women on TV can not easily be freed from the “uniform” of jewel tones and false eyelashes and blow outs. Being a female television news fixture in a deeply misogynistic culture means that, in order to ensure the focus is not on how she looks, a woman on TV needs to spend a ton of time, effort, and money on how she looks. The standard “TV uniform” exists, in a way, for the purpose of being unseen."

Draft saved Draft deleted