1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thistle and Shamrock fans ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 5, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If you like Irish and Scottish music, keep an eye out for a band called Giveway (in parts of the world, Give Way is the same as a Yield sign here) ... they're four Scottish sisters, the oldest (and most talented) of whom is 21 or 22, and we saw them play in our lovely Alabama hamlet tonight .. they were headed to Cleveland as they continue a month-long tour before heading home for a while. I don't want to go all Larry King on you, but I'll predict big things for them.

Joe Bob says check it out.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hamlet in Alabama? Is that with grits or a biscuit...

3. HejiraHenry

Well, there is the fine Alabama Shakespeare Festival, but I suppose I am suggesting an altogether different sort of "Scottish play" in this case ...

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do, for some reason, find myself with an occasional bent for Celtic music such as Joanne Madden... similar?

5. HejiraHenry

Not quite so trad, I think. They play with a full drum kit, for instance, and seem to have a slight veer in the direction of some jazz playing ... I wonder if their music will evolve more in that (celtic fusion, for lack of a better term) direction as they get older.

(In their bios, three of the four sisters include Coldplay as among their favorite bands.)

And as my wife points out, Thistle and Shamrock plays a lot more contemporary influenced stuff these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted