1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This year's Verlander & Weaver?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 17, 2007.

?

Who will be the next rookie stud in the Majors this year?

1. Tim Lincecum (SF)

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Yovani Gallardo (MIL)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Homer Bailey (CIN)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Phil Hughes (NYY)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Matt Garza (MIN)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Adam Miller (CLE)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Andrew Miller (DET)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Luke Hochevar (KC)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. Tom "Oz's stalking victim" Gorzelanny

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

No problem. You'll know him in a few months.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry Zeke but that's an awful move.

Weaver does not deal with in-game adversity very well. Just look at his awful body language. It doesn't take anything for him to start going south. You load the bases, give him no room for error with a pretty good hitter at the plate...bad move. Hell, I'd rather take my chances with Morneau than Hunter anyway.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Owings might have been out of the game for a minute, or maybe even 30, but to call the stats outdated as if he were citing stats from last month is a little over-the-top. Maybe that's just me.

And I don't know who you're calling a junkballer, but it surely isn't Owings. He was hitting 91 mph regularly in the fourth inning Tuesday, and he usually tops out at 93 mph.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I've watched him twice this year and if he's hitting 93, BYH and I are fucking.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Let's just say I've watched him a little more than twice. He can hit 93 mph.

So are you really going to stick with your claim that he's a junkballer?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course he is. He saw him pitch on the teevee!!!

7. Simon_Cowbell

He's not Jeff Ballard, but he is no Brien Taylor, Roger Salkeld, Tyrone Hill, Tim Lincecum or Yovani Gallardo.

He's been regularly topping off at 91.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah those radar gun readings really turned Taylor, Salkeld and Hill into Hall of Famers.

Want to make another bet you'll lose? I bet Owings has more big league wins by the end of tge year than those three busts combined.

9. Simon_Cowbell

I think that in this era, that is a junk fastball.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't even know who guys are arguing about, but just because Simon hasn't stood in against a 91 mph fastball doesn't mean it isn't slow compared to most major league pitchers.

That's like the argument if you haven't played sports you can't write on them.

Personally, I could stand in against a 65 mph fastball and probably be scared to death.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK, I can agree with average major league fastball. Junk is more like where Mussina is going, topping out at 88 or 89 and relying on an array of pitches, rather than just reaching back and throwing it by guys.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How could I forget Moyer? He is the true definition of junk. He throws slow, slower and slowest and has for the last seven or eight years.

Draft saved Draft deleted