1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This year's Verlander & Weaver?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 17, 2007.

?

Who will be the next rookie stud in the Majors this year?

1. Tim Lincecum (SF)

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Yovani Gallardo (MIL)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Homer Bailey (CIN)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Phil Hughes (NYY)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Matt Garza (MIN)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Adam Miller (CLE)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Andrew Miller (DET)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Luke Hochevar (KC)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. Tom "Oz's stalking victim" Gorzelanny

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

At the risk of divulging information to my competitors in the SIAFL II, Lincecum hasn't got long in the Minors. Three starts into the season and no one in the PCL can touch the kid with a delivery cross between Kevin Brown and a right-handed Koufax. Your thoughts?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know he's not really a rookie, but technically, Dice-K is one. And might I suggest adding both Tom Gorzelanny (2-0, 1.33 ERA) and Micah Owings (1-1, 1.59 ERA) to the list of options?

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I think AL is going to be Adam Miller. He's filthy. I like Andrew Miller, too, but his walks are worrisome. I'm not sold on Garza yet.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Chase Wright was decent tonight for the Yankees, but I don't suppose he will get too many chances as the season progresses.
    I still think Hughes is going to get called up and shine.

By the way, who the hell is Adam Miller? Who does he play for?

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Hughes won't get the call until he gets his changeup down. It's been so-so to bad so far. Maybe when it warms up and he can get a better feel for it. His fastball has been everything people have said it is, though. Late life, explodes through the zone even at 90, 91. Definitely has the makeup, though. He knows what he's in for.

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Adam Miller will be in Cleveland soon. I know, I know, flyover state...

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Gorzelanny and Owings aren't quite the gassers that the other guys on this list are. Could they be good? Yeah, sure, but I doubt they'll dominate in such a way like Liriano, Verlander or Weaver did last year. Also, I've heard strong rumors that Gallardo, last year's strikeout king in the minors, will be heading north to Milwaukee in early May.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That guy's awesome.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

He's already been up in the majors I believe (Broxton). How about that Saito kid.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

First, is Broxton still a rookie? Seemed like he was with the Dodgers most of last season.

As for Gorzelanny and Owings, yeah, they might not be the gassers that the others might be, but that would be to slight guys who might pitch more like Greg Maddux, who's done OK for himself. Nothing wrong with different styles so long as they don't let hitters get on base and score just the same.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Sometimes gassers are more easily hit than precision pitchers. Most of the time, the hitter keys on what is coming and just unloads on it. Example: David Ortiz on Verlander.

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

And shouldn't this thread be called "This year's Verlander, Weaver and Liriano"? We could argue about which guy is going to dominate and then destroy his arm.

Draft saved Draft deleted