1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Yankees/Orioles game is a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 6, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's already decided to vote for Obama's re-election.

If the Mets make an appeal to him, they could probably win him over.

Maybe BYH can get his good friend, Jay Horwitz, to post here and invite Boom to a game.

2. YankeeFan

I know I can sometimes be a Yankee "apologist", but they're actually pretty good about this sort of thing.

They've given free tickets out in the case of games like this a number of times in the last several years.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't advise that. Then again, considering your fantasy baseball team, maybe it would make a good match.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah if you like going to see The Royals on a rainy Tuesday night in April.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's always been my impression that on the first trip of the year, it's the club's call, but on the last, its up to the umpires, as the official representatives of MLB. It was a lot easier, too, before going to three divisions (add obligatory gripe about interleague play as well), when teams outside your own division would make two trips a year. Now, say you're the Cardinals and there's a three-day monsoon while, say, the Padres are in town for their only trip. Do you try to squeeze them in on off-days, or give up home field when you go to San Diego?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I really like Granderson, and he was a great pickup for those guys, but it would have served the Yankees right if he'd gotten hurt and been forced to sit out . . . say . . . a month.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He really is a buttoned-up, repressed, self-loathing bitter bitch, ain't he?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What they didn't say is that the free tickets are for Mets games.

9. YankeeFan

Well, isn't that more a function of what's available?

I think you can technically use them for any game, but there's not a ton of availability.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Until the home plate umpire calls "play ball!", the decision on whether or not to play the game is that of the home team. As soon as the umpire yells "play ball!" it's his decision, or the crew chief's decision.

I have a feeling that if I were the umpire, as soon as I called "play ball", I'd then call "time!" and bring the teams in. Then when it was time, I'd call the bloody game. There's no fucking reason the game should have started shortly after 7 p.m. Hawaiian time.

11. YankeeFan

You're wrong. This was the Orioles last trip to New York. It was in the umpires hands all night.

Draft saved Draft deleted