1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This will not end well... PD reporter slams paper's sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

As I said earlier, the suits aren't happy. Roy could care less but he wants to know who the snitch is. I think whomever wrote it was too careless and their identity will be revealed.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Somebody put their fingers in motion before their brain was engaged.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Something probably all of us have done once or twice.
    But hopefully not to this degree.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Here's the question, was the slam accurate?
    Or was it the ramblings of a frustrated staffer?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or both?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a question, but it's not THE question. I think that's significant.

THE question is, does committing career suicide qualify as a heroic move or a dumb-ass move?

There are plenty of people slinging burgers who would say the former. (With all apologies to those who once slung burgers.)

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

"Where was Editor Susan Goldberg after the racist cartoon about Cookie Thomas? Where was Reader Rep Ted “I can spin any BS” Diadiun? Where was Editorial Page Director Brent Larkin? Apparently they were all running for cover.

Goldberg didn’t bother to return calls to television reporters, according to aired reports. Isn’t it funny we work in a business where we want people to call us back? Maybe the TV folks should have masqueraded as print reporters and snuck into the fishbowl (the large windowed conference room). "

I think it is funny that a major (sic) newspaper would duck bad publicity like this. I'm sure they'd raise hell if somebody did that to them.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What is with all this slobbering over Pluto in the blog entry?

I don't think he's been on his game in years. Some criticism of Shaw and Livy is warranted, but I really don't mind reading them....at least they don't write JesusFreak columns.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Doesn't make that a particularly good idea, either.

It's not so difficult to use this excellent site for positive means instead of negativity.

10. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

It's one thing to critique a sports columnist's recent body of work, but you reveal yourself as a religious bigot with the final sentence. If you don't want to read faith-based stuff, just don't. There is a reason those columns are in a different section of the newspaper than Pluto's sports columns.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

To find this guy, all the SE will have to do is look at his desk staff, find someone who is young enough to read the alternative weekly and possibly know someone who works there and then find someone who has been passed over for an assignment or promotion to find their guy.

It's an interesting read, but the person who wrote it practically gives certain things away, which is pretty stupid...

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Of course, copy editors have no problem finding jobs in this business, so it's not like -- if he is found out and fired -- that his career will be over, even if prospective employers know about this incident. I know a copy editor who started out at a 50K daily, went to a 100K daily, a 350K daily and is a finalist at one of the top 10 papers in teh country -- all within three years!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted