1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This will not end well... PD reporter slams paper's sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Another Plain Dealer question. Does "Plain Dealer" mean, like, "Straight Shooter"?

Or am I making that up.

2. boots

boots New Member

Roy Hewitt can be aloof but he didn't deserve this swipe. Neither did Bud or Livingston.
    It doesn't take balls to write something nasty about someone anonymously. If this guy is as bitter as he comes off, he'd be better off finding a new job.
    I think it's chicken shit and a cowardly approach to a problem than could possibly be worked out.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

HR should have a talk with this person, then apologize 20 minutes later.

Seriously, what a stupid thing to do. Probably just a bitter hack who couldn't get in sports there. If I was the boss and found out who it was, they would be fired immediately.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, they could at least make a paper airplane out of a memo.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm guessing management would react pretty much the same way: Go after the person who penned it, and change little about the underlying situation. Except that your way, no one outside the dump would know about it.

Let's remember that we all take our shots here with anonymity, too.

Plus, newspaper management has created this mess by being resistant to feedback from staffers and taking any criticism as mutiny or personal challenge. They hire a bunch of people who probe, ask questions, challenge authority and seek better alternatives -- for government, schools, sports teams, you name it -- but then they want those employees to shut up and follow orders internally. But the better your staff people are at shutting up and doing as they're told, the lousier their journalism is going to be. On the other hand, if you have hired a bunch of feisty journalists, then you're going to face some dissent and questioning from the ranks -- which ought to be considered healthy and not a challenge.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

OUGHT to be.

Alas, frequently isn't.

7. Joe Williams

Yeah, right, that's why I posted. You agreeing?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was my first thought... Just by mentioning how much Pluto is in the office, that's very obvious...

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yessir.

10. boots

boots New Member

It's my understanding that they may be close to finding out who wrote it.

11. Joe Williams

Bingo! Deskers are the folks who seem to care about that. Guess they don't want to be the only ones chained to their chairs.

12. Thank you, Inspector Clouseau ....

Draft saved Draft deleted