1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This will never happen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If there was ever any class on this thread, it was squeezed right out of here long ago.

2. outofplace

Well, that was easy. I'll have to try that one again. :)

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're a douche bag. I say this with all honesty, dude: You really need a new hobby.

One of the many things I've learned from reading your posts -- some are good, even informing, but not all of them -- is that no matter what someone says, if it doesn't completely coincide with your position, you'll twist and twist any minute detail you possibly can and dwell on it until you feel you've "won" the argument.

From my view, I don't think you "win" many of these arguments, many of which you create yourself -- like the one you and I had a few weeks ago. And while we're on that subject, don't refer to me as "someone" or BYH's "little buddy"; it's disrespectful and completely childish. (Call these personal attacks, if you must ... and, let's face it, why change now?) What happens, OOP, is that people get sick and tired of not just trying to explain their viewpoints to you, but arguing in circles with you because, for some reason, you -- and this isn't always the case; just a majority -- cannot accept a differing position.

I can understand not wanting to be wrong. No one wants to be wrong. And I'm not saying you always are. But you've got to accept the fact that you're not always right, even on certain aspects of this topic. Ultimately, the core of this debate, is an opinion, and you know what? You're not going to push some people to your side, no matter how hard you press your keys or how many smiley faces you throw in your posts -- which, by the way, are just as condescending as BYH is being to you, so that little shtick you've got going for you where he or anyone else who does it comes after you is completely washed because of you immaturity and complete lack of grasp on how to be the bigger person. It's tiresome and, really, inaccurate. So quit wasting all of our time with it.

Do I think you're a bad person? Certainly not. I don't know you that well, just through what you're writing here. I just think you're living in this little bubble, at least on this site. If you believe in something, it's right. If someone else believes in something, they're wrong. It doesn't work that way; not in this debate and not is plenty others. This is not a factual debate; it's opinions with facts supporting each case. Get over it. BYH -- or, I guess, my big buddy -- too.

I hate writing these posts because I seriously can't stand the way they usually come off -- like the preacher comes off sounding too self-important and all-knowing for his or her own good. But to see you trounce around on every one else, taking personal attacks, which I guess is appropriate terminology on this thread, like calling Dickens "Dockens" and throwing smiley faces and "little buddy" around like they're pillows on prom night, well, I get a little agitated.

So I apologize for throwing all these words in front of your face. But what else would you be doing with your time? And don't PM me. I only message the people I respect and like. And BYH.

I will not reply to this message, either, or any other message you post for that matter -- ever. Enjoy yourself. I know you will.

4. outofplace

mikey, you are right about one thing....you did come off as too self-important and all-knowing for your own good.

I'm not going to PM you. You aren't worth my time. I PM'd cran for a confirmation of his bullshit statistic. We went back and forth a bit and then he decided he had enough and took it back here.

I get just as sick and tired of explaining my viewpoint to others. Cran jumped onto this thread in attack mode. So did your friend BYH. I'm sorry you can't see that.

The truth is, I didn't mention you in the last post about Percival because I didn't want to take a shot at you. If I missed the mark there, I apologize. I've been jousting with BYH so long I ended up using one of his tactics on you and that isn't fair.

For the rest of it....well, you're entitled to your opinion. Not that I think much of it.

Edit: You know, I tend to let this stuff go as soon as I write it, but something was bugging me when I logged back on today.

Despite everything else you tried to say, if you open your post by calling the other person a douche bag, there is absolutely no other way to take it but as a personal attack.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Really, you could stand to learn something about all this.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Again, goddamn this gets repetitive...please learn to fucking read.

From MY post directly above your "It's a fact, Simon..." tardscreed:

Not if they had an "average" payroll of $80 million.

Your response tells me they would have been $6 million in the red with that still-meager, but close-to-average, payroll of $80M.

8. outofplace

Just all this?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Post.of.the.year.

Mikey is right, sometimes you have good points on subjects which get lost because you are so condescending and you are so unwilling to admit when you may be wrong.

10. outofplace

The guy was trying to play innocent in a post that began by calling me a douche bag.

Once again, you prove that you would much rather pile on than actually bother to understand what you are posting about.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're right, you're not condescending at all.

12. outofplace

The guy posts a rant attacking me personally and you call it the post of the year. What did you expect? A virtual hug?

Did you even bother to read the argument that brought this on? Go read Cran's posts and tell me again about condescending. Do I take a condescending tone on occasion? Yes. Absolutely. What stuns me is people on this site trying to act like it is so unusual. The two people I've been primarily arguing with on this thread do it all the time.

And I do admit when I'm wrong. Despite mikey's personal attack on me, I apologized for something I wrote that offended him. He misread my intention, but now that he pointed it out, I realize that was my fault.

But in the argument with cran, I wasn't wrong. We have been debating the impact of the amount of money the teams in MLB have to spend on player procurement. So what did he do? He repeatedly quoted a statistic that takes payrolls completely out of the equation. Do you see the problem there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.