1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This will cure all of the Catholic Church's ills.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 15, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Regardless of the fact that, like Congress, they spend 80% of their energy on issues that aren't worth 20% of their time, those are some stupid changes. Those passages are fine the way they are. ... And I'm not even Catholic anymore. But still. No reason to "update" this particular part of the Mass. What a waste of somebody's time.

:mad:

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I still won't hold hands during the mass-trehugging-kumbya portion of the Mass that was insituted 20 yrs ago... like I'm going to do this?
    I'm too busy hoping my condescending windbag of a parish priest can break a 90-minute Mass (yeah, yeah. I know. I';m going to hell for this.)

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm sorry, I must have missed this. Holding hands?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He's talking about the "Peace be with you, and also with you" part.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, during the Our Father, everyone is supposed to hold hands and raise them about shoulder level...

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hmmm ... never seen that in the Chicago Archdiocese. Interesting.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've seen it here in the south (Bama, Georgia), Detroit and Minneapolis....

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ditto Central New York.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto ditto the South. We did it in Georgia, also done it in Kentucky and at St. Patricks in NYC. It's actually during the "Our Father" where you hold hands, not the "Peace be with you" afterwards (that's where you shake hands, not hold hands.) Damn, all these memories -- I haven't forgotten as much as I thought.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's practiced in New York City and Long Island. I had a family wedding about a month ago and a complete stranger tried to grabmy hand during the Our Father.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After you recoiled in horror, did you slug him?

Draft saved Draft deleted