1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This whole Nifong thing...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Got into a discussion today at a budget meeting: Does the Nifong updates belong in news or sports? There were valid arguments for both.

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I ran a short story yesterday in sports...

today the news designer told me he was taking it for his pages...

I'm not sure exactly where I think it belongs... probably news...

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think it's a sports-based story, but I can see the counterargument.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Do you think that if one side takes it, they should keep it so its not traveling all over the paper? We are facing that problem as I type.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I always try to push these legal circus stories onto our nation/world folks, usually with success.

Nobody here would really recognize lacrosse as being a sport.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I think in a perfect world, a paper should put it in one section and keep it there...

as I mentioned above, my paper is guilty of moving it around...

7. John

John Well-Known Member

It's pretty much been in our news section all along.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

News.

It never, from the start, had anything to do with the team actually playing the sport.

Once the decision was made last year to suspend the players and fire the coach, it wasn't about sports, even peripherally, any more.

9. What kind of play would this get if it weren't related to Duke lacrosse? If you ran most of the rape case stuff in sports, it should stay in sports.

If this guy were known for more than just this case, I say run it in news. But in almost every reference it's "NC DA Mike Nifong, who blah blah blah the Duke lacrosse case blah blah blah.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It was absolutely pathetic how the news networks feasted upon this minor story. The prosecutor was incompetent, but I'm not really going to get all weepy and mushy over a bunch of rich boys who cry victim. Life will accommodate them nicely.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Perhaps. I really don't know about their backgrounds, so I will assume that you do.

That said, they did not "cry victim," they were in fact victimized – as a result, yes, of a situation they created.

I'm not interested in making heroes of them, but I have a feeling this experience will leave its scars.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Since the ethics trial started, news has been taking the story at our paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted