1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's Sympathy Award goes to ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mike Downey of the Chicago Tribune. I agree with him to a point -- the fun-runners should have been better prepared given the 90-degree heat -- but, damn. Show a little compassion. (If the mods feel this belongs on the JTO board, feel free to move it.)

Hey, don't blame the city of Chicago if you were too tired and too hot Sunday while running a marathon.

And don't blame sponsor LaSalle Bank if you were weak from thirst and couldn't get enough to drink.

You've got nobody to blame but yourselves.

If you are foolhardy enough to run a marathon when the temperature outdoors is up to 88 degrees, then it is your fault, no one else's.

Nearly 10,000 of the people who filed entries for this 30th annual race were smart enough not to run it.

It is as idiotic to run more than 26 miles in a brutal and potentially lethal heat as it is to play golf in a thunderstorm.

No one made you run. No one bought tickets to see you compete, so you were under no obligation.

This wasn't a football game, where paying customers have a right to expect athletes to play whether it is in 100-degree heat or in fog or snow.

Of the 45,000 who intended to take part in the city's marathon, only 35,867 actually showed up to run. The ones who did not showed good sense.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-071008downey,1,1744428.column?coll=cs-home-utility

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Typical Chicago.

Decent point, but the big boys are always in charge.

"You died here? Fuck, you must be a pussy."

And don't never blame Chicago for nothing.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

That still doesn't explain the lack of water.
    Heat or not, runners need liquids during, even if to just throw it over their bodies.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I run and get really tired or hot or feel sick, I stop.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is why I don't run marathons

no one's ever died of dehydration while driving.

That said: This column will not end well.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I think the column is on point.
    However, the dead runner's not been buried yet.
    Take a little time.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

A while back I was down on Hilton Head covering the Heritage. I met a big strong kid and his wife in the gallery; very nice people, and we set up a get-together for the Monday after the tournament. That day the wife called me in tears. Her husband had gone jogging in the early morning heat and humidity; his heart failed and he dropped dead. Turned out he had a defect of some kind that they didn't know about. She didn't know anyone else on the island, and was looking for solace; what a downer. I spent about a half hour on the phone with her, at which point one of the in-laws showed up and took over.

My point is: given that experience, I may have written a similar article, but not until after the funeral.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What a fucking dick.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

The same thing happened (luckily no one died or ended up in the hospital) at the annual diabetes walk I volunteered for this past Saturday. We ran out of water in 20 minutes. We had to get 20 more boxes of water to keep up.

We didn't expect it to be that humid on Saturday, but we sure as hell will be prepared next year if the weather heats up like this again. Who would have thought it would be 85+ degrees on the first weekend of October?

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Where is he wrong, Zeke, except for the timing of the article?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That isn't enough?

But I'll answer your question with a question.

Do you check the batteries in your smoke detectors every month?

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Must not explode about this topic. Must resist temptation...

Draft saved Draft deleted