1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's SI (and Newsweek?)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just checked my SI because when you mentioned your problem I thought I had it too. I remember going "WTF is this?" to a good portion of pages. Just checked. It was a 14-page tailgating advertisment that I was thinking of. Fuck that shit. Give me more of what I paid for. If I want shitty ads that I'm not going to pay attention to, I'll pick up a copy of my newspaper, thank you very much.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd like to know why my neighbour gets his SI before I do. I picked up his mail yesterday because he's away and there it was. I'll get mine Monday.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I looked really hard this morning, but I had a difficult time finding any ads in my newspaper to ignore, shitty or otherwise.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

BTW, the tailgating ad section had this odd lead photo of a barbecue that seems to be taking place in the middle of a street in Brooklyn or Greenwich Village or somewhere, with two really strange looking guys, i don't know if they're celebrity chefs or what, I wasn't interested enough to read. But the chubby one looked like he was wearing eyeliner, and the other one had sort of a maniacal, tweaking-while-I-grill aspect to him. Just thought I'd throw that in.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It was chef Bobby Flay and a couple of players from the Giants. The chubby one was David Diehl and yes, it looked like something was wrong with his face.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Write a letter. At least you'll get an ''SI regrets the error.''

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Thanks Dyno. That's ironic. Many years ago, when I was an SI correspondent, the mag had a few of us out to dinner while we were covering an event in New York. The restaurant we went to was ... A Bobby Flay place. From the looks of him, I'm glad David Diehl wasn't there that night!

Draft saved Draft deleted