1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's Reilly column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, May 31, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't have a link, might be on the site though, but for all the rips on Reilly he can still deliver as well as anyone when he wants to. This week's column is on the victim in the shooting at the strip club from All-Star weekend/Pacman. I don't have anything major to say on it, other than it's just damn good.

I know most people agree that he does this type of piece well and they don't like his "mail it in" efforts, which is understandable and sometimes he does seem to just throw away a column, but I don't know if you could write on heavy topics every week and still have them be as powerful.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought it was an excellent column. He is at his best when he is vindictive, for lack of a better word.
    Guy is getting treatment in COlorado, which made it easy.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The thing that makes it effective is that it's vindictive without being preachy. He just puts the story out there and obviously the reader is going to get the point. Led and closed the piece well with tying in Pacman's full page ad.

4. When he nails it, there's no one better in the business ...

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think my favorite column he did recently was on the Louisville band member that is blind and has to be pushed in a wheelchair by his father. That was a great one that I read several times.

But then, there are column like last months, where he just listed a bunch of things that will never be said. But I think he admitted he mailed that one in.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

TyWebb,

I, too, enjoyed the recent column with sayings in sports that will never be said.

Something along the lines of...

"Here Shaq, you shoot the technical."

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Umm, NDub, was it not obvious that TyWebb said that column sucked?

Draft saved Draft deleted