1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s Massillon. They have an actual tiger for a mascot. They have an indoor practice facility. They’re nuts. They ain’t taking a knee.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had a coach for a basketball team actually give me a good case for not altering the way they play except for who plays when they're up big. So I get it but 101-6 is just beyond excessive. That's video game status where you play 5 wide and chuck bombs on every play.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Hermes likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Once the clock starts running, there's not much left to those games. The same team had one earlier this year where the clock ran the entire second half, and they ran two plays after halftime. Last night's started at 7 p.m. and was over by 8:45, and that included an extended halftime for homecoming. The losing team only ran 30 plays.
    The coach said they had two pick-sixes before they even got the ball on offense, then broke a long touchdown run on the first play once they got it. Then they had a long punt return to set up a short TD, another pick-six, and a touchdown on the first or second play of another drive. That was all in the first seven minutes, and the clock ran after that. They finished with 222 yards of offense on those 16 plays.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So 222 yards of total offense and 101 points. That's quite a ratio.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, I was talking about my own bizarre game from last night. Sorry. It was 222 yards, 16 plays and 63 points.
    Still a pretty good ratio. I think it works out to something like 13.9 yards per play.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Batman is talking about a different game

Edit: he got there first

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yeah. Tough to top that.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A team down the road scored 90 points on a team last night — two weeks after the team that I cover scored 59 on that same team down the road.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Team record. The state record in Ohio is 165 points by Medina in 1923. A team has to score at least 110 points in a game just to make the single-game scoring list.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Sophomore Alex Bauer thought his career-best 39-yard field goal in the first quarter would be the highlight of the night. Turns out, hitting on all 14 point-after kicks topped that boot.

14 touchdowns and a field goal.

I hope those kids have to run gassers for the fuckin' field goal. :cool:

Inside the numbers: Behind Massillon's 101-point game

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Three pick-sixes in the first 7 minutes almost has to be seen to be believed.

Nice that Brett Favre is working again, though.

Fred siegle and Batman like this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Worst ass beating I recall was Smith Center beating Plainville 83-0. Was 72-0 after first quarter. That was 07 I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted