1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre High School Basketball Score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

These girls are not good athletes (I'm assuming), but you pile on now by calling them dimwits? Bumbling? Klutz? Possible, considering the final score, but to refer to them as dimwits ("stupid, slow-thinking") is making a whole bunch of assumptions, and it's really, really insulting.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's his thing.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They don't define themselves as athletes; they obviously don't care what anyone thinks of their performance on the basketball court.

There are some things I do in life at which I'm not very good; I don't put very much work into it and if I am compared to somebody who works really hard at it and invests full effort, I look like a bungling klutz. So what? Who cares? I don't demand that the hard-working people who are good at what they do intentionally perform like crap so my bungling-klutz performance isn't so awful in comparison.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Starman

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

He had to have something to do after he left the Senate.

7. Starman

Losing players something less than utterly shattered and distraught:

Seidel: Detroit Osborn isn't bitter after 80-0 loss to Cass Tech

Ding ding ding a ding ding.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had a team win its first game this season 74-0. Saw the score on Maxpreps and called the AD to see if it was a typo. He told me it wasn't. He wasn't at the game (he's also the coach of the school's boys team that was on the road that day but heading home) but he got a phone call telling him what was going on and hauled ass to the school. He was ready to rip his coach a new one when the refs stopped him in the parking lot. They said basically his team wasn't trying to run the score up and they ran the clock down as much as they could and didn't press after the first quarter.

I have since seen this team play a few times and it was clear it was a fluke. They play in the smallest division and that first school I think basically grabbed some kids off the playground because this local team is not by any means a powerhouse.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Which playground, Kindercare or LaPetite?

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Chino Hills in Southern California boat raced a team 146-123. And if a combined 269 points wasn't enough to convince you that Chino Hills doesn't believe in defense, the leading scorer had 92 points in this game. Three nights earlier, CH had a 60-game win streak snapped where Chino Hills scored 91 points. The kid scored more in one night than his whole team did the previous game when it scored 91 frickin' points.

http://www.calhisports.com/2017/02/07/melo-ball-scores-92-points/

11. Starman

Well, to win by 23 in a game where the losing team scores 123 isn't really a "boat-racing." If the trailing team hits three 3s in a row, the game's back in doubt.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

ESPN.com has an article on the game on its front page because LaMelo is the brother of Lonzo: Lonzo Ball's brother nets 92 in high school game - Some of the quotes from the opposing coach are a bit more damning, like players on Ball's team intentionally fouling so that they could get the ball back.

Draft saved Draft deleted