1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre High School Basketball Score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same rule in the SS. This game went to a running clock in the fourth quarter.

And, yes, Arroyo Valley ran the full-court press the entire first half. Then went to a halfcourt trap in the third quarter.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On the scheduling question, I wonder how each school's girls team is?
    A few years back, one of our schools had a championship-caliber boys team and a girls team that could barely get the ball across half court. The coach (who coached both teams) knew the girls team was a lost cause, but since they play doubleheaders she had to schedule some obvious ass-whippings to give the boys some competitive opponents. One time they played a bigger school to give the boys a game, but the girls were shut out when the other coach ran a press all night long.
    Wonder if this was a similar situation?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't believe a single stat that coach gave other than points. Girls coaches are notorious anyway for padding rebounds and steals.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which would make it even more fun to fuck up his stat festival by shooting at the wrong basket, getting 20+ team technicals, and getting the refs to shut it down in the third quarter.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'd like to have seen the losing team counter the full court press by ramming their shoulders into their opponents' jaws. Aggressively charge.

Do that a few times, a full scale melee breaks out, and the game gets ended early by the refs. Problem solved.

Plus, I like to watch women fight. Bonus!

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This teaches your players what, exactly? If you can't beat 'em, fuck with 'em?

7. Starman

Well, while normally I have no problems with teams running up the score, if they are doing so strictly to pad their players stat sheets with ridiculous inflated stats against utterly outmatched opponents, they need to learn that stats piled up in such games are completely meaningless, and whatever your team can do to bring home this lesson is fair game.

Depending on the age/gender of the players, this might be a good time to teach players what the 'air jerk' gesture means. Although in my experience almost all kids over the age of 11 already know.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Glad you're bringing well-measured reason into this conversation.

9. Starman

To a game where it's 90-1 at halftime and they're adding up steals and blocked shots?

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I can live with calling off the press idea, but the three or more pass rule is a joke. It's more embarrassing to the loser than just trying to score.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I doubt that very much.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It definitely is. If you can score at will, do it, don't toy with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted