1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Week in Militantly Ignorant Jackasses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 12, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A "columnist" in Utah writes some dumb "column." A reader points out to him that a phrase he used, "the reason is because," is grammatically incorrect (not to mention redundant and wordy). The "columnist" then writes a 600-word response, in which he gleefully lists all of the rules of writing that he doesn't know or care about:

http://www.standard.net/stories/2013/09/10/writer-chastised-egregious-grammatical-error-column

The fact that Karl Malone is fairly well-spoken and in no way a poster boy for shitty grammar only makes it more ridiculous.

2. VJ

VJ Member

I thought this would be about Whitlock

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, this is a column I wish I had the guts to write. Some snooty Grammar Nazi whose asshole is so tight it squeaks, with nothing better to do with her time than constantly berating a reporter over a nit-picky bit of word usage would get old real quick.

And there were a couple of places he had me rolling on the floor. Like the bit with the editor: "kindly get, of my office, the hell out," was pretty hysterical.

Now I probably wouldn't have identified her my name, but I've had readers like that. We once had a guy who would red-line every single typo in the paper then send it back to us. It got real aggravating after awhile, but it did cause us to self-edit our writing a little closer.

But when he red-lined the word Canadiens in a column I wrote about the National Hockey League, saying it was incorrect, I fired back. We never heard from the guy again.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I worked at the one-man shop, I once had a woman complain about some grammatical trifle in something I wrote from about 1,000 words of copy and tell me, "You need a better editor."

I responded, "You're looking at him."

She was silent.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, it really pays to yell at the people who (partially) pay your bills because they expect you to maintain a high standard in your profession.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a small bit from the classic movie The Paper. The condensed* version:

Copy Editor: What's the plural of "ultimatum"? Ultimatums or ultimata
    Editor: Smart guys say "ultimata." Our guy says "ultimatums." We're gonna go with our guy.

* The scene---as many of the scenes do---tries to capture the feel of a hectic newsroom, so there's a lot of side comments in between all this. This is the gist of it, though.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yes, because God forbid that a newspaper, which is supposedly written by professionals, actually feature good grammar. It's be belief that accuracy extends to the proper use of the written word. The columnist in Utah was an idiot in the first place, and made himself a much bigger assclown later.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"The reason is because" is redundant and awkward, and this truth isn't all that deep in the grammar playbook. The guy is being a tool.

9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm wondering how this guy has a job writing for any newspaper if you doesn't have a firm grasp of the English language and its grammar rules.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He don't seem to care.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I didn't yell. I just calmly stated the fact. She thought our little paper had this massive newsroom of editors.

12. Read all about it: Shitty paper is still shitty.

Draft saved Draft deleted