1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Week In Baseball 1977 Season available on DVD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe this has been posted, but I just discovered that Amazon is selling the entire 1977 This Week In Baseball series on DVD for $9.99.

How 'bout that?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pretty awesome. MLB also released the first season of TWIB on iTunes. You can buy it for $1.99 an episode there.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/1/11/3844544/this-week-in-baseball-season-one-recaps-episode-1

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I bought this when it came out a few months ago. This is as good as it gets if you're into 1970s baseball, which I am. Lots of shots of Comiskey (the ChiSox were doing great most year before fading) as well as the Mariners and Blue Jays' first seasons. It's also cool to see baseball played at Metropolitan Stadium, because very few (color) games exist from this place.

Baseball fans/historians owe it to themselves to purchase this. Wait until you see the Pirates' alternate mix-and-match uniform combination that I think they only used for this year. One day, it would be the black and yellow three-ringed hat, yellow tops and white pants, and then some other combination the next day.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think they had that combo at least through the 1979 season. The 1979 World Series between the Pirates and Orioles (who had their own combinations of white, orange and gray unis) was the baseball version of an acid trip.

[​IMG]

And here's an MLB Network recap of the Pirates' 1979 season and the World Series. I counted at least seven or eight different uniform combinations in the clips.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7106705

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember when ESPN Classic would show some of the old TWIBs from the late 70s-early 80s. They were fun to watch.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is almost as fun as looking through my Kellogs 3-D baseball cards.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Those things ruled.

I also loved the cards you could cut out from the bottom of Hostess boxes.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy living fuck. I'm on this like Donkey Kong.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Why won't MLB just put this up on its site?
    Along with other TWiB seasons?
    Is there really a fucking need to make a buck off this?
    No other sports league is so greedy with its archives and clips.

10. Bubbler

No doubt. They make the NFL look generous in comparison.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, what?

MLB's fault isn't that its stingy with its archives. Their fault is they don't have anywhere near the historical film archive that the NFL does.

12. Bubbler

They're stingy with what they have though.

Draft saved Draft deleted