1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This was wrong then...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jun 1, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So you'd vote for a candidate with a track record that is polar opposite of what you believe if you thought it was for the greater good of society?

Sorry, but that's hogwash and you know it.

And what if they vote against an anti-life candidate because, as good Catholics, they believe abortion is wrong?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm busy looking for an anti-life candidate...

3. zagoshe

No, if you read the story it is a few, what appear to be Political Action Committees, led by the Conservative declaration, putting together a bloc of backers with similar values. I know, the right is the only side of the aisle where groups get together to try and sack the campaigns of their opponents.

4. zagoshe

Hopefully he visits you soon.....

And I'm just playing the same game the left does by throwing the word "anti" out there in order to make it a far more loaded term.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kevorkian just got out of jail ...

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm a Catholic and a Canadian — they're not mutually exclusive. I don't necessarily recall the pope or anyone else in the church ever telling me that I have to do anything.

When I put my X on the ballot for a pro-life candidate, a pro-choice candidate, or whatever - there's no clergy in the voting booth with me. I'm not ex-communicated for independent thought. That, as it should be, is between myself, my conscience,and my God.

The pope and the clergy are nothing more than influence leaders. So are celebrities - many of whom might not be American (or Canadian) either. So are best friends and co-workers, families. You watch television, you read papers, you surf the internet. Ideas and speech are free to everyone and various things have influence.

Are you meaning to tell me that college graduates who studied Socrates, Plato, Karl Marx, and other great thinkers shouldn't let their philosophy influence their vote because none of them were American... or are you just discriminating because you have a problem with the Church? I call bullshit on this whole anti-pope sentiment and even as a "good Catholic" I'm damn insulted that you think we're all drones.

I also have issues with those who say the church is out-of-date, anti-woman, and many other things but that's a different rant for a different day. If you don't like the Church or the pope, find other influences that satisfy your heart and mind and leave it alone.

7. In the context of what the bishops tried to do to Kerry last time, what part of "No Catholic prelate should tell the president" did you fail to understand?

8. zagoshe

They did what Catholic Bishops are supposed to do -- they made a judgement call about a guy's worthiness in taking communion. They indeed don't have a right to make law, well anywhere other than in Catholic churches. It is the job of a priest, a bishop or the post to deny communion to anyone who they believe has not yet properly confessed their sins.

It became political when the ACLU and the People for the (un)American Way and the rest of those atheistic left-wing groups attempted to make it political.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm happy to leave the Church and the Pope alone. In fact, I do so and have for years. Read what I said, though. I said "keep your Pope and his opinions" out of my business and that of my country.

Ignoring precepts from the church, which most certainly DO influence the way people vote, isn't enough.

And it's not limited to Catholics. Anyone of any faith who allows their faith's leaders to speak for them (and it happens more than you're allowing, unfortunately) falls under this same category.

10. So the bishops in 2004 were blissfully unaware that they were injecting themselves into a political campaign when they brought up the issue of communion?
    Of course they were.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe so. Bishops don't get out much.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Explains the altar boys, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted