1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This was wrong then...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Some people see it as watering down, but I don't. There are core tenants to the faith, both in terms of the gospels and in the consecration of the bread and wine that unify all of us catholics together. Those beliefs are what we're binded in and I presume every catholic believes in.

Taking one disputed verse from Romans and using it to condemn and discriminate against gay people flies in the face of everything else the gospels were about. But if it's another priest we're talking about then an exception can be made.

It wouldn't make sense for someone to remain catholic if they didn't believe in the consecration or the resurrection. If someone doesn't jibe with what some old man in a pionty hat has to say about social issues, I think there's a difference. After all, the church has changed its tune on just about everything else over time, be it slavery, war, buying yourself to penance, and letting priests marry. So forgive me if I'm not going to take everything said by the pontiff as absolute truth, even though we're taught as a little kid that he's never ever wrong no matter what, even when they decide he's wrong later on.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if your church, for example, says that women cannot be in a leadership position in the church, you just accept it and go on?

What about the many churches where women can be ministers? Are they wrong because they refused to follow lockstep what had been told was right?

Religions have always evolved, like it or not.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Didn't the late Pope come out against our war in Iraq?

Why isn't the litmus test for Catholics that they MUST vote for an anti-war candidate?

Oh, right, because these people are two-bit huckster politicians masqerading as religious leaders.

And useful idiots like zagoshe are their stock-in-trade.

Money in the bank, as it were.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm an American first and a Catholic, oh around #793, just before curling enthusiast.

The Catholic Church's policies and politics work perfectly if this were the year 1507. Just a few centuries of catch up needed...

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

WFFW.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What is this, the run-up to the 1960 election? Are we really still asking this question? So it's OK to take orders from Jerry Falwell, because he's an American, even if his orders are daffy?

A couple of other things:

1. The when-are-(insert ethnic or religious group)-here question is really never a fair one. Not all blacks are responsible for Al Sharpton, not all Muslims are responsible for al-Qaeda, and not all Catholics are responsible for William Donohue. It's just that often the extreme voices tend to be the loudest and most committed, so it's hard for the mushy middle to swamp them.

2. FH, my kids go to a Catholic school (my wife grew up Catholic, I didn't), and we wrestle with your questions all the time. We're generally OK with the school, but oftentimes the way they run things are based on the fact that we're all good little Catholics and will jump anytime someone says jump. On one hand, you can applaud the church for sticking to its rules and principles. On the other, some change has to happen for the the church to turn around. Then again, some change is happening. The influx of Latinos from conservative church cultures is the church's best hope in America, and there's a thought that organized religion is best served by becoming MORE conservative, not less. The Atlantic Monthly had a good story a few years back about how organized religion was growing in developing countries, and developing very conservatively, enough to keep things humming while liberal Europeans and Americans opt out.

One of the best cases for Catholicism, I think, is that the church tends to not make you feel guilty about drinking and gambling.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No I find a church that holds the beliefs that I do.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ha, I guess all priests have spent a Friday night at a K of C hall. Plus you can't forget Bingo.

And Zeke brings up a good point about the war. I would think that is a tad worse than, say, support of embryonic stem cell research. To his credit the pastor at the church I go to has been vocally against the war, and has come out against things that liberals AND conservatives tend to support that contradict the church's teaching.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, because you might be rubbing shoulders with the priests or bishop.

Whereas if you see your Baptist minister in a bar, you both duck out the back door.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No, I'm not talking about watering down the message. I'm talking about remembering that as a voter, whether you have faith or not, you're voting as an American. If people want to vote their faith, they need to remember that not everyone shares their beliefs or faith. The idea of responsibility, a concept lost on far too many people it seems, is that you're voting not for yourself but for all Americans. You use your beliefs to guide your vote, but who in fact are you voting for? The Pope or America?

11. zagoshe

I'm sure if there were any candidates preaching about going to war the Vatican would be telling its followers to stay clear of them. And most Catholics I know, including my parents and just about every one of my family members do believe that this war is wrong and thus they are looking to vote for the candidate they feel most likely won't get us into a conflict such as this again.

Unfortunately for you and your, as usual, ridiculous attempt to make a comparison between apples and oranges, every candidate is doing their best to run as far away from the war as possible for a lot of reasons.

That's what puts the other social issues at the forefront of every church, not just the Catholic church. Baptists have similar concerns about Rudy, as do those who attend Assemblies of God churches and church of God in christ and so on and so forth.

People who are devout in their religion and their faith will vote their convictions.

12. zagoshe

Why is there a different standard for religious people?

When you vote, do you vote your convictions? Do you vote on the things that are your values? Do you vote against things that are contrary to your values?

Why is it OK for you -- after all, the whole country doesn't agree with your value system -- to use a moral compass when you vote and not people who are devout in their religions?

Draft saved Draft deleted