1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This was a "featured job" on JJ?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by donjulio15, Sep 17, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We've joked for years about how McDonald's will pay better than newspapers. I guess it's no joke anymore.

My son worked at the Golden Arches this summer, starting at $8/hour. In a right-to-work state with absolutely zero union influence.

Let's face it, to society at large, the skills of a McDonald's worker are becoming more valuable than the skills of a journalist. Remember, one of those two industries doesn't give away its product for free.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The minimum wage in Colorado is $8.23 per hour. Aren't they admitted they're violating the law by advertising a "full-time" job at that salary?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They are probably officially scheduled for 5 days at 7 hours, 35 hours per week at $8.25 = $15,015 annually, with the understanding you will work "however long it takes to get the job done" -- as long as you write down 5 days @ 7 hours.

So of course you won't mind taking a few minutes to take a picture on your day off. Or take a phone call or two. Or cover a game. Or lay out a page. Or three, or 10. "Whatever it takes to get the job done." Just write down 35.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Sports Guy and Baron Scicluna like this.
  4. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I can't help but wonder that if instead of writing our frustrations here, we should write them to the publisher or managing editor.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Think if they got 1,000 nasty e-mails about the pay they are offering, they would suddenly see the light and increase the salary to a living wage? Doubtful.

They know they are paying a shitty wage for a ton of work, and they know in the end, they'll find someone to do that job for that pay. And they won't lose a second's sleep about whoever they hire having to go deliver pizzas on the side to keep from being homeless.

TexasVet likes this.
  6. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Newspaper owners still try to run newspapers like they did 30- to 40- years ago. That being a 30-35% operating profit, or more. Some owners do it on less profit margin and those employees seem happier in those companies.

When you make cuts in newspapers, people and paper are two of the three major components. That's why layoffs never really got filled and paper has not only gotten smaller in width, but shorter in pages. All those cuts help keep that 30% profit margin.

We can bitch about the pay, but nothing will change and they WILL find someone to take that job.

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I don't know about that. People can make 15K doing part-time factory work. Why work your a$$ off for 15K, even a college student? Just work at a cheese factory or something for 26-30K

8. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

I couldn't afford this job even if I lived in my Suburban down by the river.

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

In interview you'd likely be asked: "Could you work off site from this suburban down by the river?"

Sports Guy and SFIND like this.
  10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted