1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This used to be the sj.com football poll thread. Now it's just nothin...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 13, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

College football season kicks off in ... shoot... I don't know. A few weeks now.

And that means it's time for the third annual SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- written about and complained about all over the interwebs.

This season, we're (OK, I'm) looking for 37 volunteers for the poll. Why 37? Simple -- all 37 will vote; 35 will be actual and two will be alternates in case of missing or late ballots or people bailing in the middle of the season. Depending on the turnout, I might go higher (not much; last season's 50 was time consuming and unwieldly), but will still have two alternates.

Other than mine, all spots are open -- there are no reserved spots for those who voted in 2007 or 08. However, those who have voted in the past are quite encouraged to participate. Even Bubbler and BYH.

Please send me a note (PM) telling me why you want to be in; what part of the country you're currently in (specific is best; discretion is absolute) and what kind of conference ties you have (for example, Grew up watching the Big 10, went to a Big East school, cover the Mountain West)...

If this sounds fine and you can commit from late August through the bowls, you're welcome to apply. If this sounds reall good, but there's going to be an issue with your getting in the ballot on time (usually Noon CT on Monday, but subject to change depending on circumstances) maybe you'd best pass. This poll prompts a lot of discussion and can be a plus for this board. Debate is open to all, sniping is welcome from none.

Am looking for a mix of old and new blood, high and low posts, various parts of the country primarily, but welcomed from Canuckistan and -- yes, Trooper Bari participated after he moved to Asia.

I haven't decided the cutoff date for applications, but probably two weeks or so. Ah heck. Let's just call it July 31 and take it from there.

Anyone interested?

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Re: First Call: 2009 SportsJournalists.com college football poll is looking for participants

I'm down, Slap.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: First Call: 2009 SportsJournalists.com college football poll is looking for participants

I'm not interested this year. I had too tough a time keeping up with some of those East Coast conferences I hate (FU Big East and ACC!), so the WAC/Pac-10/MWC will need another representative this year.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I had a blast with it last year and would like to throw my name in hat for this season.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amalgamated Press kick you to the curb?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone else will have to choose 0-12 Ohio in the preseason poll...

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'll be back for my third year, if slap will have me.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, let Della in. So Missouri will get at least one top 25 vote, based on Della's opening poll being the same as the final poll from the year before.

9. Re: First Call: 2009 SportsJournalists.com college football poll is looking for participants

If you can put aside your obvious JP Wilson and Jim Bob Cooter fanboi-ishness aside, I would love to participate again.
    Even if you can't, Hell, I'm still in.
    Somebody has to show 2-0 ECU some love.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They were not 0-12 last year, dammit!!!!!!!

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yeah. But I'm used to it.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Slapster, mark me down too. :)

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted