1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This time, UW planned for the stadium to collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 21, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Some cool video of the roof over the south grandstand roof at Husky Stadium being demolished:

Husky Stadium was a dump in a great location. The renovated place should be pretty nice, now that half the seats won't be 100 miles from the field, like inthe former stadium.

(For the confused, the north upper deck of Husky Stadium collapsed during construction back in the 1980s).

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=2947

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Seriously among the most overrated stadiums in America because you nailed it — a lakeside dump and absolutely awful from a standpoint of actually watching a game. Of course, as a Wazzu alum, I am biased.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It's overrated if you are from there and are used to the scenery. Coming from a part of the country where I'm not used to the natural beauty of the Pacific northwest, having the water come up to the edge of the stadium and being in Seattle's climate made it really cool.

Of course, it would be even cooler if, in the same spot with the same scenery there was, you know, a decent stadium.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And Martin Stadium is seriously underrated. Smack in the center of campus, easy pregame walk to the bookstore, tailgating in Bohler or in the lots just east of the stadium, and every seat feels like you're right on the field. One of my favorite Pac-12 venues.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

SEC country here. I always thought that Husky Stadium- a horrible football stadium but a beautiful location- was a nice metaphor for all the reasons (real or imaginary or both) SEC fans loathe Pac-8/10/12 football.

Draft saved Draft deleted