1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This time it counts, but should it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey! Keep me out of this!

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, you I apologize to ... but I just knew Manky wouldn't get blue font.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yes, that logic worked out really well the last two seasons.

4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

AL East is 40-40 against the AL West this season

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah ... you do know it was NEVER based on which team in the World Series had the most wins, right?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Two best teams in the AL are in the West, right? Not even close with one of them and you can make a strong case for the other.

Of course, Manky thinks the AL East ought to be GUARANTEED the extra playoff spot because it is just so damn tough.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I never fully understand why MLB complains that they can't give WS home field to the team with the best record. They claim they can't book hotel rooms easily enough.

But how do they book hotel rooms when they don't even know who's going to be in the Series to begin with?

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Look at all the trouble NBA and NHL fans have booking rooms for the finals!

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agree ... people bitch about the A-S game deciding home field, but they have no problem with the fact that heretofore home field was decided on the basis of ... what? A coin tossed a hundred or so years ago? I honestly don't know, but however the initial rotation was decided, it had just as little to do with merit as the winner of tonight's A-S game.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I agree it should just be based on overall record -- every other league does this and it doesn't seem to cause any real problems.

But if people don't think that's fair (because every team doesn't play all the others, or whatever), there is another idea others have proposed that i really like:

Base it on whichever league wins more during interleague play. Instead of relying on a potential one-off fluke during an exhibition game, base it on how the leagues fared against each other when the games counted.

In the unlikely event of an interleague tie, maybe the AS game can be the tiebreaker?

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Eh, I like the AS version better. The idea of putting each league's best players on the same field to battle for home field is at least a little more dramatic than totaling the interleague records at the end of the year (especially once Houston moves to the AL and there's interleague games every day).

But, really, they need to just give it to the team with the best record. It's the only thing that logically makes any sense.

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I don't understand how the NBA and NHL - which have playoffs going at the same time and in arenas that also schedule concerts and other events - can award home-court on a round-by-round basis (thus requiring more moving parts for scheduling) while MLB - which plays in stadiums that are usually only used for baseball - can't make this happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted