1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This sums up the music biz today: Beatles the no. 2 selling act of the '00s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, May 30, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Um, having a shred of musical talent - and not what people THINK is musical talent from the likes of American Idol - would help the cause.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There are tons of artists out there with musical talent, but since they don't fit into the shitty mold the major record companies have made, most people never hear of them. I'll take bands like Bloc Party, Hot Hot Heat, the Rescues; artists like Ingrid Michaelson, Ben Lee, Mat Kearney; and hundreds of other bands and artists over the crap that gets played on the radio. Every once in a blue moon a really good artist like Sara Bareilles will have a hit like Love Song, but that's exceedingly rare.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm glad you mentioned Sara Bareilles... what a talented artist. There isn't a song on her album I don't thoroughly enjoy.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you know where to look there are plenty of great bands out there. They just don't have the mainstream commercial exposure, so you have to work harder to find them. Some of my favorite bands have never gotten any radio play that I've heard.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I saw her in concert and she absolutely blew me away. She rocked a decently large venue and was one of the better live shows I've seen. I highly recommend seeing her if she ever tours near you. And, like you, there's not a song by her I haven't heard that I don't love. "Many the Miles" and "City" are two personal favorites.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I was surprised at this as well but, after consideration, it makes sense. His biggest stuff, the music he's most associated with, was pumped out in the '80s or late '70s. I own most of the Bruce albums, but the only modern E-Street one I'd put in my top 5 is "The Rising." "Magic and "Working on a Dream" weren't the kind of power houses he was putting out in past decades and "Devils in the Dust" and "The Seeger Sessions" weren't made to be mega-hits.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He pretty much admits the methodology is fucked for that list given the drop in record sales from '04 onward.

That would explain no American Idols on the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted