1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This sums up the music biz today: Beatles the no. 2 selling act of the '00s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, May 30, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just behind Eminem, who wasn't born when The Beatles broke up. Wow. Not unbelievable, but...well, unbelievable.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/34074/chart-watch-extra-the-top-20-album-sellers-of-the-2000s

At least you can assume people buying The Beatles' albums were, like Eminem, not born yet when the band was at its peak and are of the generation that bought CDs. So the most damning indictment of the perishing industry is the fact that Metallica's biggest-selling album this decade is "The Black Album"...from 1991. Not a whole lot of 16-year-olds buying that one, in any format.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Funny.

I have a big music collection -- literally thousands of CDs and records, and countless others downloaded on the computer -- and I've got albums from precisely 3 artists in that top 20. And one of them is the Beatles.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Meh. That list doesn't really surprise me. Seeing Johnny Cash on there shocked me, though. I would assume his semi-recent death and the movie that came out several years ago probably have something to do with that.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got hundreds of albums in various formats, too, and have something from six of the artists on the top 20 (Beatles, Metallica, Dixie Chicks, Linkin Park, Creed and Nickleback). But the only band I've bought a CD from since 2002 is the Dixies. I now cringe at ever liking Linkin Park, Creed or Nickleback. Tebow, do they ever suck.

To me, the funniest part of that story was the dramatic fall of '90s stars Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey and Michael Bolton. If you told me The Beatles and Metallica were among the top 20 selling acts of this decade I would have guessed that Brooks and Carey would be there as well, if only for their catalogues. But Bolton going from more than 20 million in the '90s to 1.8 million in the '00s is no surprise. I bet he had most of those 20 million-plus records sold by the end of 1991.

5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

No shit?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

The fact that Eminem is No. 1 sums up the lack of taste of the current generation of "music" buyers.
    The fact that The Beatles are No. 2 means a lot of people of my generation have taught their children well.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm actually very surprised Bruce wasn't on there. He's had three E Street albums this decade, all of which topped the charts, plus "Devils and Dust" and "The Seeger Sessions" as well as a couple compilation albums. And he's been touring a ton, so you figure his catalog has sold well.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I only have albums from the Chicks and Cash. Kind of makes you wonder how "oldies" stations will be programmed in 10-15 years.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Like they are now?

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Another interesting name not on the list: John Mayer, for all his hype.

I guess there's only so many people out there who can stand listening to crap like "Your Body is a Wonderland."

Zzzzzz ....

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Beatles' presence on that list is almost totally because of "1," which sold 11 million copies. Surely that generated interest in the rest of their catalogue among "new" fans. And those who holds the Beatles' song rights have never been shy about releasing compilations and re-issues, even going back to the early 70s.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In addition to being the #5 group of the '90s, I would bet they were in the top 10 in the '80s, probably top 5 in the '70s, in addition to being runaway No. 1 in the '60s.

Forty and 45 years later, it's still astonishing to think what they did:

Summer 1962:

Summer 1969:

It was like going from a motor scooter to the Starship Enterprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted