1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Story Is Just ... Sad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Aug 26, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who's judging? The only two responses to the "would you hire him" question both said yes. And the whole discussion has taken his background into account.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No one is discussing the other boy.
    Same set of socioeconomic disadvantages.
    He not only carried himself through his first two terms but his classmate.

3. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I would suggest this kid spend a little less time at Christian Hall and a little more time circulating throughout campus. There is more to a college education than just what you read in the books and hear in the lectures.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

From the story I get the sense that the first part of your sentence is true, and I admire the kid for that. I am not so sure about the second part. The story doesn't give me a clear sense that he's making progress.

5. doctorquant

That's more than a bit of a stretch.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since affirmative action got tossed, UC has used a "top 9 percent" program that will grant you admission to the university (perhaps not the first campus of your choice) if you are in the top 9 percent of your class, provided you have taken the required course.

7. LongTimeListener

It's fair to say he would probably learn more in a different academic setting.

It's also fair to say that, like the many kids of privilege who get into an elite college because of parental connections or because they can afford the best test-prep classes, he is going to be a lot better off with a UC Berkeley degree than he would be with a degree and more knowledge from a lesser school. No question (at least to me) that he should keep grinding toward that goal.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Qtlaw, you are reading way too much I to a genuinely neutral question.

9. doctorquant

There's evidence to suggest that, surprisingly, that isn't the case. That evidence suggests that students who are in programs that are better matches for their academic preparation actually wind up doing better both in the short-run (i.e., in college) and the long-run.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah but the roommate's mom is a college grad. That makes a difference.

11. LongTimeListener

Really? That is interesting. I was more focused on the first job out of college, which I believe is also a big indicator of success, right? Just seems UC Berkeley grads go into the "take a look" pile and, say, UC Riverside grads go into the "uh huh, sure" pile.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel like there's a "sweet spot" of peers you want to be around, at least that's my experience. Too smart, and it can get over your head quick. Too dumb, and you get bored. Even within the same school - I attended three of them (one undergrad and two law schools) - different classes would present different dynamics.

Draft saved Draft deleted