1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This or the?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I preach this at my place, but it falls on deaf ears. Even the senior copy editors don't get it.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you're saying "The 17-year-old Doe", then you're implying that there is another Doe who's not 17. You're also implying that his age is the most important identifying detail. Wrapping it in commas -- Doe, 17, -- makes the age parenthetical, which it is.

And "this" in that context is even worse. It's a TV word.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

It's so unusual that it may be the writer's attempt to establish his or her voice. It's not wrong, but it's a little jarring. I'd ask the reporter why he does it, and try to have the conversation that it's possible to write with an authoritive voice without jarring readers out of the piece with a hokey technique.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've got to do an annual review with the writer in question soon and this will be on the list of things he can improve.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"This 23-year-old reporter could really improve his writing by ..."

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We can make this simple, for closure's sake: Yes!

If you're going to use that construction, "this" is wrong.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You might be surprised to know, Ace -- I certainly was, and learned it just a few weeks ago -- that "Doe, 17" is expressly forbidden by AP style. I wonder how many people know that.

This directly from the AP stylebook:

I always wondered why AP always wrote, "The 42-year-old Wintu Indian" (bonus points for those who know who that is) and that's why.

I've been doing this for a while and never knew that until September.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It has become increasingly clear to me that AP has no idea what the hell it's talking about.

What on earth is wrong with that construction?

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I always wondered why AP insists on doing "The 38-year-old Jeter," time after time after time, and now you know.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

You're right. I did not know this. But screw AP and all their extra words, the recent "have" and "has" additions.
    Lots of times I get stories into slot that when I get done eliminating the extra, unnecessary words, the story is two or three lines short.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

SoCal, it's not just that they use extra words -- it's that they MANDATE the use of extra words.

Nobody got the bonus for my Wintu Indian question.

Draft saved Draft deleted