1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This one time, at Ohio State ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 24, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

... the band director got fired for overseeing a sexualized culture.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/07/24/ohio-state-band-waters.html

The university report is too awesome to do full justice here, but highlights are below:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/downloads/2014/07/Investigation-Report.pdf

Examples of tricks include:
    -- A female student sitting on laps and pretending to orgasm. This included her sitting on her
    younger brother’s lap and pretending to orgasm on “make the Band night.” Her nickname
    was “Squirt.”
    -- A female student thumping the ground with her foot and pretending to orgasm. Her nickname
    was “Thumper.”
    -- Two females rubbing their chests together. Their nicknames were “Jewoobs” and “Tiggles.”
    -- A male student conducting a full-body demonstration of a flaccid penis becoming erect and
    spitting candy. This trick was also occasionally performed with another female student who
    pretended to stimulate the male student. His nickname was “Jizzy.”
    -- A student would act as if he was outside a strip club soliciting clientele, saying “girls, girls,
    we have these types of girls.” His nickname was “Barker.”
    -- A male student scooting across the floor on his hindquarters. His nickname was “Taint
    Brush.”
    -- A male student stamping other students’ foreheads with a penis stamp. His nickname was
    “Mushroom Stamp.”
    -- A male student chanting, “haaaay, we want some pusssaay.” His nickname was “Captain
    Dildo.”
    -- A female student pretending to be a vibrating sex toy. Her nickname was “ERV”, which
    stood for “E Row Vibrator.”
    -- A female student would sing sexually explicit songs about someone. Her nickname was
    “Tulsa.”

But they're child's play compared with this gymnastics exhibition:

Several witnesses stated that a “flying 69” formation was performed on the buses. This involved two
    students posing in the “69” position while holding themselves in the air from the luggage racks or
    allowing other students to hold them in the air. Pam Bork, a physical therapist from Student Health 11 | Page
    Services who volunteered with the Band for 18 years, stated that she witnessed the “flying 69”
    performed on Waters’ bus during the September 14, 2013 Cal game trip. Waters denied seeing a
    “flying 69” as a Director or in recent years.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It sounds like a typical gameday at the Band Shak at Stanford.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I blame Urban Meyer

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sounds like most typical bands across the country. Those are some fucked up people, as a rule.

I've "heard" of some band trips that might as well have been to Sodom and Gomorrah.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Puts new meaning into dotting the i.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Story mentioned that the culture was a carry over from
    previous band leader Jon Woods which is really interesting.

Woods 18 year old daughter was murdered in NYC back in 2006.
    She had come to NYC as a dancer but like many struggled and took
    a job dancing at a topless bar a few nights a week to make ends meet.
    She told her parents that she was dancing as an understudy in an off
    Broadway play called "Privilege" -- the same name as the topless bar.

Was a huge NY tab story at the time as you might imagine. Was
    a perfect storm for The Post and News.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-last-dance/

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Brings a new meaning to dotting the i.

(Songbird beat me to it ... but not in the way the report may infer)

8. RecoveringJournalist

If those stories got more press more people would be lining up to join the band.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have "band-geek" friends that were all in different college marching bands and I can confirm...sex is a big part of the culture. That and drinking.
    Lots. Of. Drinking.

10. RecoveringJournalist

One of my friends in high school was in band and I had heard all of the stories from when they would travel. They'd be gone for a weekend and he would have sex with 4-5 girls during that time. The first time he told us this, nobody believed him. One of the girls who was involved was friends with my girlfriend and I had her ask if he was telling the truth. The story she told basically made it sound like a three-day drunken orgy.

When I signed his yearbook I noticed that all of his band friends signed "UPF"

I asked him later what that meant and he said, "Ugly People Fucking"

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Damn, I should have kept with band after fourth grade instead of getting involved in athletics.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Your typical school band traveling scene:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted