1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This one deserves its own thread: Urban Meyer quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I say when the dust settles, Harbaugh will leverage UF and Michigan against each other so he can pull in a 7-year contract worth more than $20 million.

Although maybe Stoops has had enough of OU and knows he can win immediately with Urban's recruits.

2. Mizzougrad96

Plus the last guy was exposed as one of the worst coaches in the game as soon as he got to a major program where they actually have to play top competition.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Does this mean his daughter will be arrested soon?

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I don't think Foley would be thinking "Hawkins shit the bed at CU" while he's talking to Peterson. I mean, he wouldn't have hired Meyer, would he, b/c what great coach ever came from Utah?

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Why would Malzahn leave Auburn for Florida for the same position?

I can't see Leach going to UF. Bob isn't leaving Norman. Ever.

If Harbaugh takes the job at UF, it won't be until after a decision is made in Ann Arbor.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This has me rolling.

7. Mizzougrad96

I can see Harbaugh going to UF because UF will pay whatever it takes to get the coach it wants. That's what happened several years back when everyone thought Meyer was a lock for Notre Dame and then UF swooped in and offered him almost $1 million more a season than ND was offering.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm not saying it's fair, but Dan Hawkins failing miserably at Colorado absolutely impacts how teams look at Chris Peterson.

Meyer built programs at Bowling Green and Utah. Peterson inherited a pretty good team. I don't see Peterson getting so much as a sniff from Florida.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What, no corny "Urban" headlines?

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

And then there was Dirk Koetter at Arizona State before that.

The thing is, as much as the failures of Koetter and Hawkins should scare the hell out of Foley — whose job depends on this hire — they're probably even more scary to Petersen. A cradle of coaches, the WAC ain't, as I cannot name a WAC coach (in its current alignment) who has gone on to be successful at a BCS school. It's an odd little conference full of local legends (Pat Hill, Chris Ault and June Jones), has beens (Dennis Erickson, Dick Tomey) and never-will-bes (almost everybody else).

Foley would have to have cojones the size of honeydews to hire Petersen.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Urban Encore

12. mb

mb Active Member

The only difference is that you're going to have an awful lot of advantages at Florida that you might not have at some other places.

You'd be at a place where the recruits pretty much come to you and in a division that is suddenly not as imposing as it once was. You'd have to work pretty hard to fail at Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted