1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This one deserves its own thread: Urban Meyer quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Funny, I once heard an SEC defensive coordinator use the exact same phraseology to describe Urban.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never met Muschamp, but unless you're insanely arrogant you won't fit in with the Florida football program.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which is why Muschamp is in and Mullen is not.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just wondering: Is there a well-known coach or ex-coach who is truly humble?

Bowden played the "Aw, shucks" role, but much of it was for the cameras.

5. Mizzougrad96

Bowden is one of the nicest human beings I've ever met.

He reminds me of Foghorn Leghorn. I was just so in shock from my dealings with him, I was hardly anybody of importance and he granted me a 45-minute one-on-one (It was only supposed to be 30) during a big game week. He gave me three numbers to reach him on if I ever needed anything.

I came back two years later and he remembered me. It's possible the SID told him, but I doubt I was ever at the level where the SID would think my presence was important enough to tell the coach I was there. I had to call him back to check on something and he answered his own phone.

I remember thinking, "Why can't they all be like him?"

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Actually, he and a former colleague of mine who covered him for many years remind me of Foghorn Leghorn.

7. Mizzougrad96

Maybe it's the West Virginia accent.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm not saying he is the greatest person who has ever walked the earth, but in my 15 or so years of covering coaches in pro and college sports, he made the best impression.

I've also heard he got a little surly toward the end, but my last dealing with him were in 2000 when FSU was still an elite team.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Frank Beamer?

10. Mizzougrad96

Draft saved Draft deleted