1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This old Cranberry's house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I like the white cabinets/sink/appliances and don't think it would be too much, especially in a small kitchen and if you are doing a color punch on the walls and/or countertops. The floor, also will be a counterpoint.

The glass-front cabinets are a great idea if you are extremely neat but I believe cabinets are places to hide things.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Can we make an effort to keep this and Care Bear's Thanksgiving thread together?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. Now, about lighting. It's important, no doubt, but there doesn't seem like there's that much to it, right? Recessed in the ceiling and under the cabinets, right?

What kind of issues come up with lighting?

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

You will want a little lip at the bottom of your cabinets to hide the under cabinet lighting.

5. cranberry

I can't wait to bring this up at the showroom. Nobody will believe I thought to ask about this on my own.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I went recessed and put them on a dimmer. Easy and nice.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

One thing about cabinets, we went with Mid-Continent out of Michigan (maybe Wisconsin) but they were heck of a lot cheaper and equal quality to top of the line Kraft Maid. We did have to spend some time with a designer to get everything we anted.

8. cranberry

Generally, I like to buy locally, so it will be interesting to see how close to home I kind find some of the products.

Thanks to everyone. By all means, keep the thoughts and ideas coming but I'm checking out for the night in a little while.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/1920s-kitchen/index.html

Found this on a google search. You can do a couple glassed cabinets and put your fancy glasses in there. I'm not crazy on the knobs on the cabinets/drawers, but they have the all-white and the hardwood floors.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Because you giggle to yourself when you see "Cranberry" and "anal" next to each other? I can respect that.

Back to the issue at hand. Not to take away your man card, Cranberry, but have you looked at Pinterest? I don't know how many pictures you have perused, but that place is full of amazing photos of kitchens. I go there all the time for ideas and daydreaming. I found these pictures there tonight:

An updated Tudor kitchen:

[​IMG]

This:

[​IMG]

This, too:

[​IMG]

Small, but lovely:

[​IMG]

White appliances:

[​IMG]

Nice:

[​IMG]

My fave:

[​IMG]

Not seeing a ton of white appliances while looking around...I think Amy's right about making sure you pack some good color punches in there if you go that route. Stainless steel looks great with white, too. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. cranberry

I really like the use of beadboard in some of the white cabinetry CareBear showed. It provides a little more texture. That's a touch I may seek out.

I'm also set on a few things as of my meeting this morning with Rudy the contractor: definitely going with wood floor and granite counters in combination with white cabinets. We're sticking with white on the appliances because a) it feels more retro, b) I really like the retro white sink I posted yesterday, and c) there's nothing wrong with the gas stove and fridge we already have, damn it. That effectively eliminates the white subway tile, which looks great with stainless.

Also, I questioned Rudy about timing and he insists this job won't require more than a couple weeks. Remember, it's a small kitchen. This guy is the best contractor I've ever hired. Trip to the showroom planned for Friday.

FYI...I should probably stay away from Pinterest. Based on what I've read, I'm fairly certain it's the online version of Barnes & Noble. No good can come of that.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My favourite description of Pinterest: Virtual Hoarding

Draft saved Draft deleted