1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This old Cranberry's house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Nov 20, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I am imagining the kitchen correctly, I don't think you can do too much white. It is really very much in keeping with the era. You can even go with an off-white on the cabinets that isn't as shiny as the appliances and is somewhere in between them and the countertop.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How in blue hell are you going to get a kitchen done in such a short time? Our kitchen remodel (down to the studs) took two months from when we first began demolition.

Anyway, here are my tips ...

1. Rewire the whole kitchen when it's gutted. Put in extra outlets - if you don't think you'll use them. We did that six years ago. One fourplex was unused for a couple of years, now it's where we keep our phones and iPad charging.

2. Go granite. We did composite, but I wish we hadn't. Pulling the toaster out to use it leaves black rubber marks on it, which require a ton of elbow grease to get out. Also, make sure the installer gives you any extra pieces left over. We've got two cutting boards made from the same material as our countertop.

3. Slide out trays for the cabinets where you'll keep pots and pans make life much easier.

4. I love farmhouse sinks (like the one pictured above) it'll fit in your era house. I wish we'd gotten one in our 1940s house rather than stainless.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe an off-white on the cabinets would provide sufficient contrast. And, for what it's worth, I'm not selling the place for another 10-15 years, if even then. I just want to live in a nice place now that I'm almost a grown up.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You're not going to like this, but I don't see it done in time for Christmas.

I'm not a granite person at all... I could write reams on why, but for me the biggest concern is that, depending where in the world it's harvested, it gives off radon. I ended up going with quartz, of which there are a zillion colors, styles, etc. I researched the companies and ended up going with Cambria because they are Made/ USA and the greenest of the quartz harvesters.

I like hardwood floors in kitchen because it's softer underfoot but I've seen some beautiful tile.

Cabs- a good way to save some coin is to go with stock instead of custom but it helps to have a kitchen designer, architect, interior designer or somebody who knows what the hell they are doing to design the placement of drawers, cabinets, spice rack, etc. A good kitchen has a classic "work triangle" of stove, sink, fridge ?? I think ?.

I went glass tile on the backsplash, and I'm a lighting FREAK so I have recessed lights, pendants, under cabinet, and two tracks in the kitchen. Under cabinet lighting is a freaking must.

Like I said, I don't see how this can possibly happen by Christmas, but I wish you well, kind sir!!!

5. cranberry

Excellent point. We're upgrading our service, too. Need more outlets, too.

Accessible drawers are a must, I've been told.

Keeping the house in character is high on my priority list. It was a show house in our neighborhood in 1929. I have a 15-paragraph article from the NY Times with descriptions of the rooms and two pictures of the outside of the place.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I would do white cabinets. If you go off-white be careful - it could end up looking dingy or dirty next to white appliances rather than off-white.

7. cranberry

It's a small kitchen. The contractor and his crew are great and says he can do it. But, yeah, that was my first thought, too. it might have to wait until after the holiday. I won't have to pull the trigger until next when they would begin demolition, so I'm gathering as much info as possible as quickly as possible because I don't want to hold anything up with drawn out decision making.

Also I like your thought on Cambria. I'll try to buy local and go with USA-made products, too. Isn't Vermont or New Hampshire the Granite State?

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

9. cranberry

Good point. So you're OK with white cabinets and white appliances and white sink?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yes, but most of the granite used in kitchens these days comes from South America.

My taste borders on modern, so maybe I'm not one to advise on a tudor. Our house is craftsman or "arts and crafts" looking...

Kitchen has off-white cabinets (almost white-white), shiny dark brown countertops (people often call them black) and stainless steel appliances. Stainless steel sink. Backsplash is half-inch square mosaic glass tile in silver/gold/cream/brown. I call it the "warm space-age" look. :)

One thing I've noticed is that men love the kitchen. There's nothing frilly or feminine about it, yet with all that lighting, it's warm and inviting. I splurge on lighting, tho. Other people splurge on cabinets.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

cran, do you like glass-front cabinets? They look good in period kitchens, and would let you go with white cabinets without the kitchen looking WHITE.

Our kitchen has a wood floor. I would not have thought to put it in myself, but I love it. None of the problems I anticipated, and easy on the legs.

12. cranberry

Another good thought. I guess I'd go with some kind of frosted glass but otherwise I fear that I'd be putting disorganized cabinet interiors on display.

Draft saved Draft deleted