1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This new rule could reveal the huge gap between CEO pay and worker pay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Have you noticed what happens to a company's stock price when its earnings miss analysts' estimates for the quarter?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, I have. But do you honestly think a company could, say, lay off a couple hundred/couple thousand employees to "make its numbers" without that affecting the stock price?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wall Street usually responds very favorably to workforce reductions.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, it doesn't. Layoff announcements on average are associated with a decline in the value of the firm. I haven't delved into that literature in a while, but I took a quick look and didn't see anything new coming up.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I owned WWE stock last year. When it announced layoffs, the stock price went up, if I recall correctly.

6. SBR

SBR Member

How's your Blockbuster stock doing?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wish I had stuck with WWE stock. It gained like 10% the other day. As usual, I sold too early.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Gresham's law of political information at work.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I didn't notice the discussion about layoffs, only your general disbelief about the importance of quarterly numbers. I don't know what layoff announcements do to stock prices, although I'm going to guess, based on my experience, "it depends." I do know there is significant pressure within publicly traded companies to make estimates every quarter because of the effects of an earnings miss on stock price. I've gone through a quarterly earnings miss. It wasn't fun.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

So companies will use massive layoffs to make some quarterly estimate without much regard for the effect on future earnings to keep a stock price temporarily stable?

11. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

This is probably a campaign promise to lower-level CEO salaried people and a backhanded way of driving their wages up. With a few more dollars for campaign donations and thank-yous. The Kochs sure aren't one of those who will benefit from this, just as an example of the partisan side of it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. That would be silly.

They do it so the CEO looks like he/she is making bold moves to keep the stock price up and thus maybe get a nice, fat bonus again this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted