1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This might be the first good reason to go to Delaware

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 25, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The state wants to establish legal sports books. All the leagues are suing. Thoughts?

By the way, there is legal gambling on sports in Europe. I don't recall any problems filtering over into soccer, rugby or cricket because of that.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

European soccer is notoriously suspect, especially when totals/final score margins are discussed.

It's not a soccer season without at least one Italian League scandal.

When Isle of Man pools king Robert Sangster passed on, they discovered among his effects a little black book
    with the names and phone numbers of virtually the entire European roster of soccer officials.

Whoops.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The legislature passed this back in May or June. Federally, is already has permission, but some lawmakers want to reverse that now that the state all of a sudden wants to take advantage of its legal right of some numerous decades.

I'm not sure what grounds any league can sue on. Nevada has gambling, why can't Delaware? The only ones getting hurt by this are the bookies who already set up shop there. And trust me, if you want to make a bet on a game while you're in Delaware then you don't have to look far to find a bookie. I used to know several who operated out there.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't understand the outrage. If Nevada can do it, why can't other states?

I'm all for any states doing what's necessary to generate revenue.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, I'm not against it. I hope they get it. But if it's nothing but "must play parlays" bullshit with shaved
    odds, they can keep it. They'll do business, but the illegal street market will hardly disappear, given
    the anticipated conditions/shortcomings.

They have to match Vegas, or they'll be sorely disappointed.

6. There's always a good reason to go to Delaware.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

0% sales tax is one.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The leagues have to do this for PR reasons, but as I've said countless times before, the day there's no available wagering at all on the NFL or March Madness, they might as well pack up and go home because no one will give a damn who wins and loses, and all those filled seats will cease to exist.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Um, not exactly. I don't bet on sports, and I still watch with just as much enthusiasm -- and much less heartache.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Rehoboth Beach is another reason. At least it was when I lived there.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just don't walk into the wrong area.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I went to the place where the pretty girls were when the sun was in the sky. It was outdoors, next to the ocean. It was a nice place.

Draft saved Draft deleted