1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

this might be a repeat of a few years back, but MOST STUPID SPORTS CITY...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Apr 14, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Up there? We have won gold.

Over 40 years since a Stanley Cup.

The waiting list for season tickets is about 20 years--at last count there were approximately 4,000 people on the waiting list.

Personal Seat Licenses which originally sold for $15,000 in the platinums when the ACC first opened are now trading for anywhere up to $50,000 per seat. Oh, yeah, and there's a $2500 annual fee and you haven't even bought Leafs or Raptors tickets yet--let's say another $25,000.

2. Slash

Slash Member

Lincoln, Neb. END OF THREAD. For 25 years I endured Husker fan’s abuse. Thank god for moving South. NO fans as obnoxious or ignorant as Husker fan. IE Larry the Cable Guy. Git-r-done. Go Huskers. Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

St. Louis fans --fairweather? C'mon...

If you want to say arrogant, I'm not going to argue that. But hardly fairweather.

The baseball Cardinals have drawn 2M since 1987 every year except two. And those years, thew drew around 1.8M. Go back to 1979, and they've drawn 1.7M or more every year but the 1981 strike year.

They supported the football Cardinals despite the clubhouse leader in inept owners and a grand total of three (all road) playoff games. And that buffoonish owner chose to leave because he couldn't get a stadium deal, not primarily because support was dwindling. Which, in the end, worked out rather well for STL, who inherited the Rams and a Super Bowl title while Bidwill's franchise contined to stagger drunkenly through the desert.

And the Blues just had the highest percentage attendance growth last year despite not making the playoffs. 40 years of support.

And in terms of the baseball crowd bragging on the Cardinals accomplishments, they are the most decorated National league team. They may not be the Yankees, but they are next in the conversation.

4. Slash

Slash Member

St. Louis is one of the GREAT baseball cities. The fans are knowledgeable and passionate, this coming from a Cubs fan. I think it’s a good sports city. Pretty good support for the Rams, too.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I didn't feel any bad vibes toward St. Louis fans...I enjoy going to games there.

Never mind they bought, like most of us, the McGwire is clean act hook line and sinker.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A lot of Cardinals fans are arrogant, but it takes some doing to wring it out of them.

A lot of Cubs fans are arrogant and obnoxious and it takes very little to drag it out of them.

I have no love for either team, but I like being around Cardinals fans more so than Cubs fans.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Doc just got a nervous twitch, and doesn't know why.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not really, Chef. Bubbler has made clear countless times his antipathy toward Cubs and Bears fans. I take anything he says on the subject with a grain of salt.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't forget White Sox fans!

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Or Cowboys fans.

The ones who can talk reasonably intelligently I'm cool with. In fact, one of them is my best friend. The ones who are just trash talking shitstains I have nothing to do with.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Have we gotten this far without a mention of Indianapolis as "Stupid Sports City"?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK I'll bite...why Indy?

Draft saved Draft deleted