1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

this might be a repeat of a few years back, but MOST STUPID SPORTS CITY...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What championships? Oh, you mean those AL West titles and first-round playoff exits?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hey, division titles are "championships" to Rangers fans. Hell, Texas even won a playoff game in '96! At Yankee Stadium!

I had no major problem with any baseball-related decisions during W's tenure. Just hated him being associated with the team. Yawn, how'd you like to see Hillary owning the Rangers? Thought so.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Admittedly, those "championships" were to the franchise on the initial steps of a dynasty run. No one else touched them either.

And was Bush responsible for Mike Henneman's relief work? Had that not occurred, history for several years might have been rewritten.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Not being a strong Rangers fan, I'd say for all my friends in the Metroplex and for people like "Cuervo Gold" Randy Galloway, if Hillary could bring some World Series pennants to Arlington, more power to her.

And certainly you were happier with Bush as a baseball club owner than as president.

Well, my sentiments exactly.

5. writing irish

I freely admit- I'd take W as a team owner over Eddie Chiles or Brad Corbett any fucking day.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As you were talking about with the Rangers, I guess for me maybe it would depend on whether or not I felt like ownership was making a good faith effort. If they're really fucking up, or just don't care about the on field product, then there's a good deal of incentive to stop going to games.

7. writing irish

I must admit, I no longer feel full of fail when I wear my Blackhawks jacket.

I wonder if the Wolves had a slight drop in attendance this season.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If we're doing it based on fan support for a lousy team/ownership, how about the Pirates? Bad ownership, bad management, and a 15-year losing streak, but hey at least there is a new park.

Same could be said of the Knicks. Terrible coach, team sucks, yet the fans continue to pack MSG.

In terms of a city, I think D.C. should be near the top--600-million dollar park for the Nats and 24-thousand show up? outside of the Redskins, there is little support for the teams.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wait, the Pirates have fan support? When did that happen?

If I remember correctly, Allegheny County residents actually voted against funding PNC Park and Heinz Field. The city, state and county just found a way to take the revenue out of the residents' pockets.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, wanting to avoid spending taxpayer money on an NFL team in a region that already has plenty of sports absolutely REEKS of "shallowness." Oh, to be sophisticated enough to pony up dollars for pro football!

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

friends? hahahahahahahahahhaha.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Number of World championships in baseball since 1970:
    Pittsburgh 2
    Texas Rangers 0

Draft saved Draft deleted