1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Makes Me Ill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They reacted that way in large part because they remained dazed from
    being flat-out f-----g lied to by the assholes in charge regarding the justification for this kind of activity.

Does this wholly forgive them? Hell, no. But.

Is it a significant part of the picture? Yes. Just as it was for the war authorization votes, which have long been "rubber stamps" in this country, due to the (then) reasonable expectation that the executive branch was shooting somewhat-straight with the country at large.

What a f----g laugh THAT is, in retrospect.

And Dumbo wonders why he doesn't get a lick of respect from the opposition?

Because (a) he virtually never gives any, himself, and (b) because he blew his credibility out of his ass a long, long time ago.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree it is sickening.

Did anyone else read it as something possibly planted by the Bush White House, in lame attempt to shift some focus, as in, "See, it isn't just us. These Democrats saw what was going on and gave their approval, too!" I know the story said it was bipartisan, but the two names most are going to recognize of the four representatives are two of the three Democrats. I don't know if that's really the case, or why that story appeared now. But I just have my suspicions when I read things like that, that it's not being let out to be informative. It's being used by someone as a shift or share the blame kind of strategy.

3. Ragu -- I think it's more likely that this was a CIA/intel leak. Those guys are pretty pissed at being everybody's scapegoat. Not that it doesn't collaterally serve the purposes you mentioned, too.

Sorry, Ben, but the years 2001-2002 (at least) are going to go down as the years in which Congress criminally abandoned its oversight functions, the Democrats criminally abandoned the notion that the primary duty of an opposition party is to oppose, and we all criminally abandoned our obligations as citizens to hold the lot of them to serious account. The dpeth of this neglect is going to haunt us for decades and radically reconfigure what kind of country we are.
    Unless, of course, we elect this guy:

http://www.jonathontheimpalerforpresident2008.us/Campaign_Page.html

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't think there's a canyon-like disagreement, here.

But the GOP used its full psychological advantage, in this time period.
    It wasn't admirable, it wasn't pretty . . . it was scummy, all around.
    But they saw the hammer on the table, and they used it. That "If you're not with us, you're against us" argument is dispicable/authoritarian, but they resorted to it, pigs that they are. And the Dems rolled, because the "soft on terror!" epithet is a tough stain to wash out, with all those swing voters watching. Just look at '02 and '04.

I stand on my notation regarding the general tradition in this country of
    not bucking the president at the get-go of major foreign-policy decisions.
    It's there. It's been there for a long time. It's undeniable.

But these creeps abused it . . . and there are a lot of things these creeps can't be forgiven, but this abuse is right up there, because it shakes the population's trust in the executive to do the right thing on behalf of the people re foreign policy, and these scum have done everything but.

Sad shit.

5. The "Bushies leaked this to embarrass the Dems" meme that Ragu posited is getting some traction around the intertubes. Let me just say that I don't give a wailing, flying, micturating FUCK who released this. All I care about is whether or not it's true and, if it is, fuck them all.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I tend to buy into your theory that now is the time for the Intel. Community to have its reckoning.

Though it really doesn't matter -- it's shameful shit either way.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Were this, say, three years ago, I might have felt some level of vindication that democrats acquiesced on the torture issue. I've long since abandoned partisan politics because I've concluded that none of our national leaders has a moral compass and few if any of them have the ability to actually lead. It's deeply troubling that our nation has become so Machiavellian, and that is not, nor has it ever been, isolated to one side of the aisle.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Well said.

I've become tired of supporting any of it. I used to be one of these people who went around encouraging others to vote, but now I'm fairly certain that voting matters very little. This country, as we have known it, is dying and I don't think there's much any of us can do about it.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Our elected reps are the product of an increasingly unsophisticated populace.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And that would be the unsophisticated populace that doesn't resemble Mitt Romney's extended family?

No offense, but that really sounds elitist. Either way, the masses are no more or less sophisticated when it comes to politics than they have ever been, and if anything we know more about the nooks and crannnies of who we are voting for than we did 100 or 150 or 200 years ago. When an unknown like Franklin Pierce (who turned out to be a piss poor president) can get elected because he is friends with Nathanial Hawthorne, who writes the Scarlett Letter and The House of the Seven Gables, back to back, making him perhaps the most famous man in American, and then he follows those books up with "The Life of Franklin Pierce," (for which he got an ambassadorship that allowed him to tour Europe), a fictionalized biography that turns a joker into the greatest patriot who ever lived, and everyone buys the book because of his past books and then elects Pierce president, it's hard to argue that we are more unsophisticated today than we were in the early to mid 1850s, for example.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, too bad we can't all be as smart as you and FB.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And Gore Vidal would remind us - from the cliffside villa in Rimini - that the trouble isn't just public ignorance or apathy, but rather the rise and triumph of the "professional politician" since the end of the Civil War.

Draft saved Draft deleted