1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This made me angry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, May 25, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I did not read the column, donl;t care, don't get the idea that an internet (or newspaper) column can actual make sme so angry as Shea seems to be.

However, this "kid asking daddy" BS is total crap. How can the commissioner "insist" on testing for HGH when no reliabe test exists?

Even the blood tests for HGH are not yet reliable and if anybody thinks the MLBPA is going to allow every player to be blood tested, they are more stupid than I could ever imagine.

If this kind of "logic" flows through Adelson's column, then it is useless.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The incredibly muddled thinking and lack of engagement with the world contained in this paragraph alone:

I want Bonds to break the record because as a member of the media, if I want to ask him a question, I know where to find him. He will probably not answer my question, but at least I can ask. Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro and Jason Grimsley aren't exactly making themselves available to the media these days. Barry Bonds comes out every day and goes to the ballpark, where millions can see him. When the world thinks of steroids, they think of "Barroid," even though he is only one of many suspected of using them.

assured that I didn't finish the column.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking about what a great line this is.

4. andykent

andykent Member

I didn't say it was written well, but I thought most of the points he made were valid. I too had a problem with the whole "kid asking daddy" line because it did not make much sense, but I still don't see the anger-inducing commentary here.

5. I didn't care for the column until the last line. Must say, that was a knockout punch of a finish. Maybe baseball does deserve a villian home run king. I think the writer hit on something.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You mean the trip to the VIP room isn't real and spontaneous and meaningful? Boy, are there going to be some disillusioned hacks on this board ...

The most thought-provoking line for me was, "If Bonds weren't so good, baseball wouldn't be forced to deal with its steroids problem."

7. I read the line. I just didn't buy it.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I actually agreed with the column, though I don't think it was exactly all that exciting to read.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Some people somewhere cheat sometimes, so we should allow everybody everywehere to cheat every time.

Concocted bullshit.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't think that's his point.

I think his point is the piling on Barry Bonds has reached ridiculous levels and now he is actually rooting for Bonds because so many of the people pointing fingers are so hypocritical on so many levels. He isn't the only one who allegedly used steroids --in fact others who have even tested positive get less shit than he does -- but you'd think he was by the way the media feeding frenzy has been.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty much all the other alleged/suspected/generally accepted steroid users -- Giambi, McGwire, Palmiero, Sosa -- have all been publicly ostracized.

Kenny Rogers, another one, caught a world of shit after his pine tar episode in the World Series last year.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It didn't make me angry, but...
    I want my two minutes back

Draft saved Draft deleted