1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This lecture will end badly.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

So, I am a guest speaker at two high school journalism classes tomorrow. I'm supposed to talk about sportswriting, and I have no idea what I'm going to say other than:

1. Be VERY SURE YOU WILL LOVE THIS before choosing this career path.
    2. No cheering in the press box, no plagiarizing, etc...
    3. Get used to not making much money, many people disliking you and just about everyone thinking they could your job better than you.
    4. The more cross-media experience, the better.
    5. Learn a second language, preferably Spanish if you want to cover baseball or soccer (school I'm speaking at is a state soccer power).
    6. Start as soon as possible. Write for your high school paper and your college's student paper, try to get a job taking prep calls at a local paper, etc...
    7. Keep your head above waist level in the lockerroom.
    8. Drink plenty of milk and only do drugs if you're positive you won't get caught.

What am I missing?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

9. Unless you find an exceptional man/woman, forget about getting married.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Get. Out. Now.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1. Before you go down to the postgame presser or into the locker room, write down one or two questions ahead of time so you're not stumbling or forgetting your question when it's your turn to ask it.

2. Don't rely solely on a tape recorder or a digital recorder. Always, ALWAYS bring a notebook and several pens with you. You never know when the tape recorder breaks or the digital recorder runs out of batteries or when your pen runs out of ink.

3. Never put a score other than the final score of the game you're covering before that game's final score.

4. Make deadline. Always.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I wish I would have heard 1, 3 and 6 before I got into this, I might not have gotten into this

6. Obviously I don't know what's expected from your speech, but I gave one at my old high school and the teacher had a pretty good suggestion.
    He said, "Most of these kids aren't going into journalism. Tell them what they should have learned in this class and how that will help them in the world."
    I talked about how important it is to be able to communicate and especially to write well (for e-mails, resumes, business letters, etc.), to actively listen, to be able to research well, to learn how to break complex issues down so you and others can understand them, and finally, that people will often lie directly to your face.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We don't care that you try hard. Tell your parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted