1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This just in from NHL head office. You know, a team in SW Ontario might work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 10, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As they say, you can't make this shit up.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-eyes-second-team-in-southern-ontario/article1356687/
    Bill Daly says this apparently with a straight face.

"The demographics are friendly for the NHL and NHL teams and that makes [Southern Ontario] a good candidate for a franchise"

Yeah, keep those teams in Phoenix, Columbus, Atlanta and Florida where they're bleeding money but concede that SW Ontario might be a good "candidate". I mean, where do they find these people?
    And here's the money shot:

Most sports economics experts agree such a team would likely earn enough revenue to be a major contributor to the NHL's revenue-sharing program as opposed to a continual drain like the Phoenix Coyotes.

I think we could replace "Most sports economics experts" with "anyone with a functioning brain".

It's fortunate that the game of hockey transcends the idiocy of the National Hockey League. Couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery, useless as a eunch at a gang-bang, etc, etc, etc.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You forgot to mention that Daly pissed on the idea of a team in Hamilton.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep.

Truth be told, I said from the start that Kitchener-Waterloo would be a better place for a team and a new arena.

It's just as accessible to the rest of Southern Ontario as is Hamilton, and just as attractive to the almighty corporate sponsorship dollars. Maybe more so, given Waterloo's two universities and ever-growing tech reputation.

And here's the best part - it's more than 50 miles away from both Toronto and Buffalo, both in terms of driving and as the crow flies.

In other words.....fuck you, Leafs and Sabres.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree with you Double J.

I have a sentimental attraction to the Hammer but I'm not sure the city is ready for prime time.

If you go back and review the history of Hamilton City Council dealing with anything more complicated than fixing potholes, they screw it up. And that goes back to the late 60's when, under the banner of "urban renewal" they essentially levelled the downtown core.

And now all their energies will be devoted to squabbling over where the new PanAm Games/Ticat Stadium will be built. If the worst possible choice is out in the boonies by the Hamilton Airport, that's where it'll go. More parking!!! Easy Access!!! No crackheads!!!

I think that K-W would make the team more of a regional one, drawing from as far away as Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton, London, etc.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on,... why would the NHL want to put a team where... you know... people like hockey?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because they've been reaching out to Bubba for the last twenty or so years but still haven't clued in to the fact that Bubba doesn't give a shit.

And why admit that a business plan that would get you kicked out of a first year business class has been epic fail .

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It wouldn't work because the Knights are there and the JLC is too small for the NHL, but London is a better market than K-W and the Hammer.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

IIRC K-W has a higher median income than London does. As already mentioned there is also more industry in K-W than London and a little bit closer to the GTA

K-W seems like the better choice.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think they should put the damn team in Shelburne and put Double J in charge.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

JLC seats like what... 10K? A nice building in a nice downtown... but I dont see London being an NHL town. Sad part is, given it's location, it would be a great place for a team.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

London's as much an NHL city as Kitchener or Hamilton. There'd be plenty of interest in SW Ontario from London to Sarnia all the way to Windsor and many points in between. Pipe dream obviously because the JLC is too small, but it would be a better market than Raleigh (sorry, Sam Mills) among others. I bet the AHL would love to be there but the Knights have a rock-solid base there.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll immediately move it to Durham. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted