1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is your brain on drugs -- in middle school ** UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Feb 22, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Marijuana bust nets 8 students at Chaska (MN) middle school

Marijuana and drug paraphernalia were confiscated from eight students at Chaska Middle School East last week, and the case is being investigated by the city's police.

The students, seventh- and eighth-graders, could face suspension or expulsion for a year, said Principal Jim Bach.

"The issue was brought to our attention last week by students and parents, and we believe the process worked because the community came forward," Bach said.

Police Chief Scott Knight said it's premature to say whether criminal charges will be filed.

Bach said drug use at the school hasn't been a problem in the past.

"It's not uncommon for kids that age -- it's a time of experimentation," he said. "But we caught it before it became a huge problem."

BOB VON STERNBERG

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

Re: This is your brain on drugs -- in middle school

how about this:

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/newswire/story/middle-school-principal-charged-with-buying-crack/

3. John

John Well-Known Member

it's a 24-point game. pay attention.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least I dont have to go to the interview room for this...

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Coach, you were down 38-7 at halftime -- what happened?

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm not shocked. When I was in middle school there was a drug dealer and several kids experimenting. And this was back in the early '80s.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm not shocked either. When I was in 6th grade in 1980, a kid got suspended for bringing pot to school. His older brothers were big burnouts and he clearly got it from them. It was definitely shocking then, though.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Eighth grade in 1996. Had eight classmates serve out-of-school suspensions after a drug bust, and nearly 40 kids serve 1-2 days of in-school suspension, staggered over the next month. Somehow, I wasn't one of them.

This is nothing.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I smoked pot in middle school.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Barack smoked pot and look were he is now!

NOW GO OUT THERE BE SOMEBODY!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now, they face felony charges

6 Chaska middle schoolers charged in drug case
    The accusations involve the sale and possession of marijuana at Chaska Middle School East.

By Bob Von Sternberg, Star Tribune

In an unusual case, drug charges were filed Friday against six seventh- and eighth-graders, accused of selling and possessing marijuana at Chaska Middle School East.

Two 12-year-olds and a 13-year-old were charged with fourth-degree marijuana sale, a felony. Police said they had been able to document four sales ranging between $3 and $10 that occurred in the school.

The case stands out to officials who work in Twin Cities area schools or with juvenile crime because of the allegation of students selling marijuana in a middle school.

Janet Cain, the assistant Carver County attorney who handles juvenile cases, said she had "never seen a case like this involving kids that age. In 13 years, I can't recall one case."

Likewise, in Minneapolis, the park police officers who serve as liaison officers in the city's schools haven't encountered drug sales at the middle school level, said Lt. Linda Bergstrom, who oversees the unit.

"Issuing marijuana tags for possession isn't unusual," she said. "We've been blessed, so far, that we haven't had selling at that level."

In the case charged Friday, two other students, both 12, were charged with possessing small amounts of marijuana, a petty misdemeanor. A sixth child, 12, was charged with possessing drug paraphernalia, also a petty misdemeanor.

A parent and fellow students reported the alleged drug use to school officials last week.

Principal Jim Bach has said the students could be suspended or expelled, adding that drug use at the school hasn't been a problem.

Chaska police Sgt. Jon Kehrberg agreed. "At the middle school, it's rare," he said. "At the high school, it's not out of the ordinary anymore."

The most recent national survey by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, released in December, found that in 2006 12.2 percent of eighth-graders said they had, at some point, smoked marijuana, down from an all-time high of 19.2 percent a decade earlier.

The same survey found that 39.6 percent of eighth-graders said it would be "easy" or "very easy" to obtain marijuana. That also represented a steep decline from 1996, when 54.8 percent gave that answer.

The Ramsey County Attorney's Office also reported that marijuana cases involving such young children have been rare over the years.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gee, what a great fundraiser. Instead of selling pencils and lollipops ....

Draft saved Draft deleted