1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why you don't put jokes on the page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sports Guy,

I once had a high school game story that went over six columns in the cut and paste days and every column was in the wrong place.

Good times.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would go apespit (can't say what I really mean because I'm at work) on those copy editors if that happened to my copy. There would be no apology I could ever accept for effing up copy that way.

Sports Guy likes this.
  3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I hope I don't out myself so I will keep this vague but on my college paper, the editor in cheif put my photo and wrote a joke column with my byline as an April Fool's prank. I received a lot of blowback and still had to threaten a lawsuit to get a retraction.

I was fired the same day the retraction ran

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Wait, what? Why were you fired?

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

For making a stink and making the editor in chief look bad. She and the managing editor got extremely vindictive about it, to the poit of creating a fake Facebook account (this was when FB was college only).

Finally the academic advisor had to bring the wrath of God but it was so close to the end of the year there was no time to fire them (next year's staff had already been hired) and all they missed was the opportunity to be at the end of year banquet.

If it matters, both of then have respectivle jobs in the industry and I have...well, read my post history. In fairness, it isnt their fault

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

What was the gist of the column? To receive blowback and threaten a lawsuit, it had to be something pretty bad.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If it was an April Fool's column, I'm sure it was bad. Those have a unique history in college newspaper lore.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ancient history, yes. Back when we got our first computers, the workflow still was to type stories on copy paper, give it to the desk to edit, then on to an "inputter" who retyped it into the computer system. Our outdoors writer -- a hunting and fishing expert -- submitted his column about some hunting trip. The inputter added a sentence near the bottom. Something like: And when you meet your maker how will you answer for transgressions against nature.
    Of course, the proofreaders didn't notice it because all the words were spelled correctly. The inputter was fired the next day.

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Heck, Bobby Petrino is still a college football coach in Kentucky (Louisville), and Quin Snyder is once again a basketball coach, this time in the NBA. If I were either of those so-called "journalists," I would leave the Kentucky job off my resume' and move to another state, if I really wanted to stay in the journalism field ...

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

But I certainly wouldn't want either to land a copy editor job where I work. Trust issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted