1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why you don't put jokes on the page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Agree, DeskMonkey. He really was the lesser perpetrator. He fucked up, but not enough to end his journalism career, which is probably the case here.

At least he's young enough to make a career change. The older coworker may have done him a favor in the long run.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not sure about this. The kid has to be smart enough to realize no LEO would ever say such an inflammatory thing. But maybe like a lot of places, he was working too fast to even process it.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We three copy editors working tonight (I'm reading this during dinner break) had a good discussion about this. Not much sympathy here for either copy editor.

Most of our gallows humor/smartass comments are oral, not written, and this is why.

I know about honest mistakes which happen because you're rushing or were interrupted in the middle of laying out a page ... believe me, I've made those errors (in the December craziness, I left an obit mug box nameline as "Name" instead of typing in the deceased's name. Nobody caught it on the proof and I rightfully got a chew out for that).

But this is somebody screwing around, causing harm to the public official, reporter and entire newspaper. They deserved to be fired. Good luck to KY and all the other people at the paper who will be dealing with the fallout for quite a while.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not so much livid as she was petrified, I would say. All the heat, from what I could tell early on in the day, was squarely on her. And then, as my editor and publisher's investigation began, it became clear that she wasn't at fault.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure she was terrified of what was coming. I sure wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of that.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

So, did those two copy editors even show up for work today or were they head off at the pass?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

As far as I know, they were both in the building at one point and then called into a meeting with the publisher and editor. They were both gone by the time I got to work around 3:30.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How exactly did it happen in the proof process? Or did it not?

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

I feel for the editor, too, who had to endure a nightmare no journalist wants to have — running a correction and apology because a couple fools who didn't take their job very seriously.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

I encountered a shit sandwich of the sort — the proverbial turd in the punch bowl at the company office party — about 21 years ago during the cut-and-paste era, where a composing person was fired shortly after butchering my high school football game story on the hometown team, which was playing its arch-rival on the road.

Somehow, the legs of type were incorrectly placed by the composer, completely embarrassing the newspaper and myself. It appeared in the paper that Saturday that the hometown player was tackled by his own teammate, followed by a quote from their coach saying, "That was a huge play in the game."

This was before the internet, mind you, so there was no web to fix the digital version.

Being the sports editor, who wasn't on the desk that night, traveling back from the game, I transmitted the story to my managing editor in plenty of time for him to thoroughly proof the page. After not sleeping that night after reading a copy at around 1 a.m., I felt compelled to run a correction in the fledgling five-days-a-week paper on the following Monday.

It stated: Because of a composing error, type in the football game story was inadvertently placed out of order in Saturday's edition. We regret the error.

Realizing that wasn't enough, I also ran the full game story in that Monday edition, even though the managing editor didn't think it was worth running a retraction. I wonder how many readers kept both of the stories for their football scrapbook? I felt like my readers looked at me different, like I was incompetent.

I was livid, the managing editor didn't say much, and the publisher was shocked.

The lady who made the errors was fired shortly thereafter. She had been warned about it before because of previous gaffes that infuriated the writers and editors and embarrassed the paper.

My relationship with other co-workers was never the same after that, especially the managing editor, it seemed.

The trust was never the same.

I left for a better-paying job at a bigger and much-better paper a few months later.

11. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Mine wasn't a joke that slipped through the editing process. Sheer incompetence; maybe sabotage. That managing editor is still stuck at that miserable paper.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh, he fucked up. I'm not denying that. But it's a different level of dumb than the other guy.

Sports Guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted