1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why you don't put jokes on the page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Jan 8, 2015.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Somebody certainly learned the hard way.

For those too lazy to follow the link, somebody edited in "because they have a desire to shoot minorities."

Two copy deskers were fired.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yikes! Why would anyone do that? I'm sure that if it's a small paper much of the desk staff is fairly young, but damn is that dumb.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The most surprising thing is that the Etown paper still proofs pages.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That really sucks for the reporter, who undoubtedly is going to have to live this down to some degree.

The editor who put it in has to be on the short list of the dumbest people ever to work in newspapers. Sorry if he's your friend, but Jesus H. Christ.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What LTL said. Life for that reporter isn't going to be easy.

Horrible error and this retraction doesn't quite cut it for me. Typographical mistake?

A story on Page A1 in today's print edition contains a major error and misquotes Sheriff John Ward in a paraphrased statement. The version online has been corrected. The newspaper formally apologizes to the sheriff and other law-enforcement officers offended by its typographical mistake. - Ben Sheroan, editor.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How would you characterize it? Gonna say in print it was just a joke that got in print? It's just so awful it's hard to characterize it.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree, Ace. It's hard to characterize it and I don't necessarily think you should repeat the mistake verbatim. But a typographical mistake would be turning "public" into "pubic." Not this.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree, play t. Understates it.

10. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Man, that reporter must have been blindsided by that. She must have been livid!

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

They deserved to be fired but I can't help but to feel sorry for them, particularly the younger one. The 32-year-old wrote what should have been an obvious joke but an inexperienced co-worker believed him/her and let a horrible mistake get into print. It will be very difficult for these two to find work in the field, a field in which the 23-year-old probably trained for in college and now has nothing to show for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted