1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why the desk is still valuable

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Caught this last night in the AP Twins-White Sox optional that wasn't corrected.

"Joe Mauer’s two-run single in the ninth gave Rauch a five-run pad he needed in the bottom of the inning."

Problem with that is Mauer hit the single in the bottom of the eighth and Rauch came in the game in the top of the ninth.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38287618/ns/sports-baseball/

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A teachable moment for the newbies on the desk.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As is this hideous hed bust.

http://theslot.blogspot.com/2010/07/theres-only-one-child-myth.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+billwalsh+%28Bill+Walsh%27s+Blogslot%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Tonight's AP story on the US-Sweden women's soccer game spelled at least four of the US names wrong, including the two in the lead (Amy Wambach? Really?). Quality control has gone to shit at AP.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

The stuff coming from St. Andrews this week has been virtually unedited.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Must be nice to write for the AP. You can have typos all the typos they want while writers at some smaller papers get yelled at for a rare mistakes.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I had an argument with an editor regarding something like this when I hyphenated early-morning (or something involving early). She kept arguing LY, LY, and I said, But it's not an adverb; the rule is about adverbs, not LYs. She pulled rank and won. Just goes to show that not all editors get it right.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my desk and am reminded why constantly. But this stuff isn't exactly wipe-the-brow-whew stuff. And I'm a stickler for hyphens in compound modifiers, but most of America isn't laughing and forwarding that cover to all their friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted