1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why our line of work is a piece of S***

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think if you look at my first post on the subject, it doesn't say I'd forward all calls directly to the publisher. It says I'd forward it to the next guy up the totem poll. "Hey (name of assigning editor here), this coach won't believe me when I tell him why we're not covering his match this Saturday. You mind talking to him?"

I do this all the time. So far, I haven't lost my job. I guess it's just around the corner, though.

In fact, most of the supervisors I have don't mind me using them for cover in this manner. (Gasp), they think of it as part of their job.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I was a little snide with the publisher talk, I'll accept that. But if people are asking why you chop staff, I think it's totally within your right to send them to someone who can choose to explain the specifics if he/she so wishes.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good conversation.

Yes, your paper costs as much or more than it ever did even though it's smaller and we have fewer people to write about the stuff you want.

Have you tried looking at the internet?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny, but my supervisors think i should have the balls to answer the questions people ask me.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Why are you being so combative over this? It's not like I transfer every single call. Should I also "have the balls" to answer circulation and advertising questions, and take classified ads and subscription orders, too? Since I have as much sway over any of that as I do why we didn't cover the soccer game last week.

Sometimes, after arguing with folks, it's better for everyone if you just say, "Let me connect you to someone who can better answer your question." It's just basic customer service. I can remember when we actually had seminars to teach us how to deal with customers. I guess customer service is just another thing that got bought out in this business.

6. I always answer the public's questions. If they're not satisfied with the answer I forward them to my boss. No sense in my arguing about it. I didn't make the rules, I just follow them. Let the bosses deal with that.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is all I'm trying to say. But, apparently, at some places to get fired for forwarding calls to the delicate geniuses in the supervisor's chair.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's soccer. We're talkin' about soccer, man. Soccer. Are you serious? Soccer?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Publisher, Jerky Boy... don't send shit-ass callers to the publisher.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's funny how it went from publisher to circulation, isn't it?

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Just a refresher from my very first post on this subject, since reading comprehension seems to be a problem on this thread:

"I don't see what's so horrible about forwarding a complaint call up the chain of command. Maybe not directly to the publisher, but to the next guy on the totem poll."

To recap: I never once said to forward such calls directly to the publisher. That was somebody else. My entire, highly controversial point on this thread -- and this is really, really revolutionary -- is that if you don';t have the means to answer a complaint call to the satisfaction of the complainer, then you ought to transfer it to someone who can.

I know. Shocking.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, just how many calls have you forwarded on to your publisher?

Draft saved Draft deleted